Author Topic: Syncing: some issues with long filenames  (Read 2127 times)

klint

I have recently performed massive syncing of many podcast files over MTP protocol (using 3.1 build 6247). Some of them happen to have very long filenames and I have run into some issues.

1) During the sync, a lot of error messages were displayed in the sync window (like the copy or the encoding -even if that is weird as all files were already MP3- had ended in error). After checking, it appeared that those files had long file&path names. But despite the error messages, all the files have been copied correctly on the device.

2) After the first sync with a lot of error messages (but all files copied correctly), I run a second preview scan. It showed that all files had been copied correctly. Yet 2 messages were strange as you can see in the image below:

The first entry is not a file, it is the folder on the device where all the podcasts are stored! Quite scary. Will the folder be deleted if I tried?
The second entry is a file with a long filename, that is actually present on the device despite this message.
I suppose that the preview is not able to match the file because of the length? and wants to delete the one one the device -the wrong first message- and copy it again -the second message-?

Thanks

klint

More test results:

I have deleted the file from the device and resynched:
Preview shows:

Synch results shows:

As I said, the file IS actually copied to the device all the same
and the next Preview shows:

Note that the full title tag of the file, which is used to name the file on the device, is:
Extraits : Paris vous parle - Arrestation d'un espion russe aux USA / Paris vous parle - Avion espion américain abattu par l'URSS / Inter actualités de 08H15 - Echange Francis Powers contre Rudolf Abel (1ère diffusion : 09/08/1957, 07/05/1960, 11/02/1962)

Hope this helps
Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:09:24 AM by klint

Steven

• Administrator
- can you send me a link to a zip of the file in question
- also post a screenshot so i can see your podcast name rules in the device synch settings.
- do you have rules such that the file would be converted to a lower mp3 bitrate?
- and lastly can you post one case of the specific error which should be in the event log

klint

Hi Steven

- The file with the issue: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0qo0VmlMWr6R2ZvNmJVUjFsV0k

- The sync renaming settings:

- As you can see, there is no rule to convert this file

- Here is the result of the sync I retried today:

As you can see, there are multiple errors, but only the first error is a real one... other files have no reason to produce an error (and when synced without the faulty first file in error, they do not generate any error)
Also, despite the errors, ALL files were transferred

- Here is the correponding log trace (for files in error):

- Once the previous sync was over, I retried a preview, with this strange result:

- And here is the result when trying to Sync. I did not go further, as the whole folder could have been deleted on the phone:
(by the way, note the small pb of localization with the English sentence in French mode... not sure I had reported that already)

- For what it is worth, here is the properties of the file in MB:

- And here are the properties on the phone:

Hope this is not TOO much info :)
Thanks for your help
Cheers

Steven

• Administrator
i am not sure precisely what the issue is. However for the next v3.1 update, i have changed the total filename byte limit to 255 bytes.