Author Topic: Volume Leveling Stops Working on Sync  (Read 5535 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Test sync completed with a few CPU spikes close to 100%, but overall, it appears that changing the number of encoding threads to 1 helped a lot. However, I'm still getting the 'mp3 volume normalizer has stopped working' error message.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
if you look in the windows event viewer log, it might provide some more info on why mp3gain.exe is failing

Steven

• Administrator
also try adding mp3gain.exe from the musicbee folder to your security software exception list

phred

• Global Moderator
if you look in the windows event viewer log, it might provide some more info on why mp3gain.exe is failing
Nothing in the event  viewer, but I did find a number of mp3gain.exe.xxxx.dmp files in \users\phred\AppData\local\CrashDumps. They're all 4.11mb in size and binary. So NotePad++ can't read them. A quick search online shows that in order to read them I need the Windows Driver Kit, WinDbg, and Visual Studio.

If anyone has these, or has a way to read crash dumps, I'd be happy to upland a .dmp to you for interpretation.

In the meantime, I downloaded the full install of mp3gain which is the same version as currently installed. I uninstalled the old one and reinstalled the new one where it was originally: G:\mp3gain\

Hmmm ... mp3gain.exe in the MB folder is v1.5.0.2. The one I just downloaded & installed in G:\mp3gain\ is/was 1.2.5. Should I try replacing new with old?
Or replacing 1.5.0.2 in the MB folder with 1.2.5? Or with a freshly downloaded 1.5.0.2?

also try adding mp3gain.exe from the musicbee folder to your security software exception list
Once the current test scan is complete, and if it still errors, I'll add it to my AV whitelist.
Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:12:26 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
I feel like progress has been made. Encoding threads set to 1. Copied mp3gain.exe 1.5.0.2 over itself from a new download. Added mp3gain.exe to my AV whitelist. I have run three syncs now and not only have I not seen the volume leveling error, but the CPU usage is rather stable at 35-50% with occasional spikes into the high 70s.

As a further test I ripped and encoded a CD. Previously (with encoding threads at 5) the encoding would pin the CPU at 100%. Now the CPU usage is pretty similar to the syncing. But I do have 'analyze volume and write replaygain tags' enabled in the Rip Settings and when it came time to analyze, CPU usage was in the 85-95% range with a few spikes at 100%.

I'm satisfied with today's results and will consider this solved unless it happens again. A new computer with a much more powerful CPU is on the way so I'm not going to complain too loudly if these issues reappear on this old machine.

Thanks for the help.
Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:13:33 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki