Author Topic: Differentiate between multiple entries and blank entries when editing.  (Read 3604 times)

EffenBlue

I was wondering if there could be an indicator of some sort that shows the difference between a field with multiple entries in it and a field with no entries in it when editing multiple files.

For instance, in this image:

the producer field in the selected files has different values for each track, but the editing window shows blank/no values.

In this image:

the producer field in the selected files is blank and the editing window shows blank/no values.

This can often be confusing/misleading if the field in question is not visible in the main view.

(Yes I know upfirst is misspelled, it was good for a chuckle so I left it that way.)

hiccup

I was wondering if there could be an indicator of some sort that shows the difference between a field with multiple entries in it and a field with no entries in it when editing multiple files.

+3

(two extra plusses for two earlier occasions I could find where this was brought to attention or asked for:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=11455.0
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=19620.msg117324#msg117324 )

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

alec.tron

+1 toohoo.
Especially for some sort of visual feedback to see that one would edit / overwrite multiple & different tags with a single value...

Alas, as long as it doesn't have an equally powerful editing syntax as foobar, I'll still be going back to that for all my multi-file metadata editing as I have most things I need sorted over there.

c.
Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:49:49 AM by alec.tron

Steven

• Administrator

EffenBlue

Thanks Steven, and sorry about starting a new thread and not searching first.

Steven

• Administrator
i've added some basic support for this so that the text "Mixed" (or "-" for narrow fields) displays.
Its in the next v3.1 update

hiccup

i've added some basic support for this so that the text "Mixed" (or "-" for narrow fields) displays.

Probably a bit futile, but wouldn't a small + sign be more apropriate then a - sign?
( - might suggest 'no value' to some users)

phred

• Global Moderator
Probably a bit futile, but wouldn't a small + sign be more apropriate then a - sign?
( - might suggest 'no value' to some users)
Very good point.  +1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here