Author Topic: Playback stutter when coyping files.  (Read 4605 times)

Gothmoth

hello,

as much as i love musicbee (and i do) there is one thing that is worse than with other players i tried.

when i copy files from HDD to HDD or over network, then muscibee begins to stutter or starts to repeat a second of a track.

i have an automatic backup software running that copies files every few hours to a second system.
the files are copied form a seagate barracuda 7200 upm drive to the second system.
the files are mosty photos around 20-30 MB big and usualy size is 2-8 GB overall.

my audio files are on a 1TB samsung 850 SSD (dedicated just for audio files).
i have a fast skylake i7-6700k system with 32gb ram and i am running win10 64 bit.

the buffer size in muscibee is increased to the maximum already.
imho there is no reason that musicbee should be affected by coping these files.

other players are unaffected by the copy processes.

the music is send over GPU HDMI to my AV receiver (no mainboard soundcard involved).

Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:25:56 PM by Gothmoth

Steven

• Administrator
the last time someone said the same and claimed it was all ok with foobar, i spent a substantial amount of my own time and also the bass developer helped out only for the guy to discover he had something misconfigured something on his network - he didnt say what. So i am afraid i am not willing to go through that again

Gothmoth

sorry but that makes no sense at all to me.

let me say it again.

the audio is played from a different drive than the one the files are copied from.
the audio files are not played over network.

when i copy files from HDD to HDD or over network

how could the network card influence musicbee when i copy files from HDD to HDD in a system?
the network is not used then. as i wrote it happens over network or from HDD to HDD.

i am especially puzzled that it can happen when 30 seconds of a song are already BUFFERED in RAM?
the only way i could think of this is that musicbee has an extremly low process priority or doesn´t get the data fast enough (but... it´s an SSD i am playing from).

with todays computer and the huge amount of ram many people have, would it not be possible to make an option to buffer a whole file into ram?
maybe give it an upper limit of 500mb ram.
Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 07:31:29 PM by Gothmoth

Jimmy Carter

Same issue here when copying very large or many files.
When the copy process takes longer, more than 20-30 seconds, Musicbee stutters.

hiccup

You could try if it perhaps makes any difference when you set Windows priority to Background services?

System properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Background services.

Gothmoth

You could try if it perhaps makes any difference when you set Windows priority to Background services?

System properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Background services.

you mean for the backup program?

that runs already on below normal priority.
i have set that to low.

but if you mean what i think you mean then i would steal away even more performance from muscibee, not?
i would prioritize all background task instead of applications.

Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:39:44 PM by Gothmoth

hiccup

For systems used as a professional DAW it is a common advice to change priority to background processes.
I can't give you exact details how and why, but I assume that some Windows low-level audio or timing processes might benefit from it.
It would be worth a try at least, and might help to find the source of this issue that pops up every once in a while for some users.
Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:00:15 PM by hiccup

Gothmoth

For systems used as a professional DAW it is a common advice to change priority to background processes.
I can't give you exact details how and why, but I assume that some Windows low-level audio or timing processes might benefit from it.
It would be worth a try at least, and might help to find the source of this issue that pops up every once in a while for some users.

tried it but did not help.

i recorded the error with my phone and upload it here: http://www64.zippyshare.com/v/LngDQ1fL/file.html

ignore the cracks and pops that´s from my phone. the error is the two repeating sounds.

it´s only a small mp3 file (215kb). i cut it down to the parts where the two errors that happen when i copy files appear.
the first one happens more often. the second longer one happens not that often.

this happend when i copied a 8 GB file from on PC to another over LAN.
it also happens when i copy in the other direction.

please remember that i have set buffering to 30 seconds already and the first error happend a few seconds into the song.

but i have to admit that it happens way more often when i copy over LAN than directly from harddisk to harddidk in a single system.
Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:29:12 AM by Gothmoth

Steven

• Administrator
I dont think there isnt anything i can do on the musicbee side because the buffering/ reading functionality is controlled by the bass library.

in regards to this:
please remember that i have set buffering to 30 seconds already and the first error happend a few seconds into the song.
i expect it takes time for the buffer to fill

edit:
I have sent a request to the BASS developer with a suggestion that might help when the issue is local disc activity. The suggestion wouldnt help with network bandwidth being the issue
Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 10:28:30 AM by Steven

Gothmoth

thanks for that.

just to make it clear... i NEVER play audio files over network.

the audio files reside on a local SSD. only other files (photos mostly or 4k video files) are copied too a backup system.
and this copy process is causing the glitches.

Steven

• Administrator
@Gothmoth, the bass developer has asked me to get some debug info so are you happy to run a debug version?
- what musicbee version are you using currently?
- and what output mode are you using as set in the Player preferences (eg. DirectSound, WASAPI, ASIO etc)
Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 07:02:46 PM by Steven

Gothmoth

@Gothmoth, the bass developer has asked me to get some debug info so are you happy to run a debug version?
- what musicbee version are you using currently?
- and what output mode are you using as set in the Player preferences (eg. DirectSound, WASAPI, ASIO etc)

sure i would do that.

i run the portable version right now (build 3.0.6190).
would prefer if the debug version could be portable too.

i use direct sound and output over my graphicards HDMI connection (970 GTX) to my AV receiver (see picture above).

not sure if ASIO or WASAPI would have any big influence on quality when my external AV is doing all the work and no internal soundcard.
so i choose direct sound but i can switch if you recommend it.
Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:07:28 AM by Gothmoth

Gothmoth

i just tried wasapi instead of directsound and ... no errors during filecopy.

then i tried direct sound again... immediately errors.

then i even tried much heavier copying then i normaly, do with musicbee set to wasapi.
from 3 disk on system A to 3 disk on system B at the same time while my backup program was scanning for file differences.
no errors.
Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:21:25 AM by Gothmoth

Steven

• Administrator
take a copy of the existing musicbee.exe, and replace with this:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/94kkk2xld75cfkc/MusicBeeDebugBuffer.zip

could you play using both DirectSound and WASAPI, and also allow a few seconds before doing the disc activity.

When done, the data will be logged in the error log (help/ support/ view error log) - can you send me a link to a zip of that data

Gothmoth

unfortunately wasapi does not fix my problem 100% but it´s better. playing the song i only noticed one glitch.

wasapi log: http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/5dL3JIky/file.html

direct sound log (heavy audible errors):  http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/6k6WjPW8/file.html
Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:40:11 PM by Gothmoth