Author Topic: Portable vs Full Installation  (Read 3853 times)

Scott_hn

• I hate music, sometimes I don't ~PW~
Hello fellow music nerds,

I'm a Spotify premium/MediaMonkey lifetime premium/VLC/Last.fm user and have been for many years.  I'm also, for better or worse, a Microsoft consumer who lately, especially because of my recent "upgrade" to Win10, is trying to streamline his PC usage by switching all my programs, where available, to MS products.  In that regard, it seems to me to make sense to switch to Groove Music in that all my mp3s are sync'd with MS OneDrive.  I'm also trying to switch as many of my installed programs to portable versions for purposes of maintaining a clean registry, to simplify my backup routine, and to make reinstalling my OS/programs easier/faster in case of a catastrophic hard drive failure or the inevitable purchase of a new PC.

The only thing preventing me from making the switch to Groove Music thus far has been the inability to scrobble music to Last.fm from the Groove player.  However, it's recently come to my understanding that MusicBee scrobbles and plays from your Groove Music collection, be it music you're streaming from its subscription service or your own, uploaded to OneDrive, collection of mp3s.

Can anyone here with a similar set-up confirm that this is the case?...  And is there any limitation to the portable version of MusicBee (i.e., does it scrobble?)... and what about the Android version, will it also scrobble?

To avoid wasting a lot of time downloading/installing and re-configuring my PC, in case I'm wrong about all this, it seemed a good idea to ask this community first.  

Thanks in advance for any insight y'all might be able to provide.

Cheers,

Scott
aka Scott_hn at Blip.fm
aka shnabors at Last.fm

phred

• Global Moderator
And is there any limitation to the portable version of MusicBee (i.e., does it scrobble?)... and what about the Android version, will it also scrobble?
I don't use last.fm, but I can tell you there's no difference between the full install and portable versions of MB.
There is no Android version of MB. It is Windows only. If you found an Android version, it's probably a fake. Would you please PM the link to me?
Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 03:34:20 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Scott_hn

Thanks for your prompt reply, and my apologies for my lack thereof, lol.  I don't recall seeing an Android version, only reading in a forum somewhere during my research suggesting that one existed.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
 I don't recall seeing an Android version, only reading in a forum somewhere during my research suggesting that one existed.

That might have been referencing the MusicBee Remote for Android, which is a plugin that uses an android app for playback control
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Scott_hn

Yep, thanks, very will could be.  

BTW, Since my original post, I've been using MusicBee almost daily and am loving it.