Author Topic: Ampersands and other characters in ID3 tags not displaying in Subsonic  (Read 2314 times)

repercussion

I'm using MusicBee to grab album tags and then organize the files appropriately. Ampersands, apostrophes and even words like "feat." won't show up in the Artist field in subsonic.

On the album screen the spaces where they would be are not there, not even a space in their place.

On the tag editor, they show up as �

Using MP3Tag to tag the files from musicbrainz does not reproduce the problems so it's got to be something like special characters that Musicbee does with the tags.

Is there anything I can do to get these to show up properly? Is encoding not UTF-8? What about ID3 version? Could that have anything to do with anything?

If anybody else has experienced this or something similar, I'd love to hear your input.

Thanks very kindly!

phred

• Global Moderator
I've never had that issue with MB and SubSonic. I don't use "feat." but do use "Ft." and have no issues. Nor with ampersands:

Where are you grabbing tags from, and what do they look like in MB? What tag editor is that in your second screenshot?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

repercussion

None of your examples include the artist field.

Where are you grabbing tags from

I'm grabbing tags from Musicbrainz, for the most part, but freedb also creates this issue.

what do they look like in MB?

In MB they look fine.

What tag editor is that in your second screenshot?

That's the Subsonic tag editor.

phred

• Global Moderator
None of your examples include the artist field.
Oops - grabbed the wrong screen. Here you go...

what do they look like in MB?
In MB they look fine.
I would think that if they look fine in MB, then the problem with with SubSonic.
What format are your MB files? Are you transcoding to get them into SubSonic, or are you just pointing your server to the same files that MB uses?

What tag editor is that in your second screenshot?
That's the Subsonic tag editor.
Ahhh - never used it. I do all my tagging in MB.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here