Author Topic: Musicbee still plays sound from speakers with headphones plugged in  (Read 4275 times)

PkmnFreak

Hello,
First i try to explain the error and how to produce it / work around it.

My System:
a. Dell XPS 13 9360 i7-7500U with integrated Speakers
b. Latest Version of Musicbee
c. Latest Sound Drivers from Realtek
d. No Hardware Problems (100%)
e. My headphones are fine
f. I use "Minimize Musicbee into System tray"

Scenario 1:
1. Start Laptop with headphones plugged in
2. Start Musicbee and play music -> Music from headphones
3. Unplug headphones -> Music from speakers
4. Plug headphones in again -> Music still from speakers

Scenario 2:
1. Start Laptop without headphones plugged in
2. Start Musicbee and play music -> Music from speakers
3. Plug in headphones -> Music still from speakers

Workaround 1: (What i do everytime i need headphones...)
1. Unplug headphones
2. Start itunes and play music
3. Plug in headphones -> Music from headphones!
(4. If you unplugg after a while with itunes closed the problem still occurs!)

Workaround 2:
Restart the laptop with headphones plugged in -> Works untill i unplug my headphones

This is quite annoying. It could be the case that i am missing something important like a specific setting or something.
If not i would love if anyone could fix this as i don't want to go back to itunes as my music player...  :'(

Regards
Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:52:27 PM by PkmnFreak

hiccup

Have you tried this with the different available 'output' settings in Preferences > Player ?
(or perhaps your laptop also has choices under 'sound device' just below that?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I have the XPS 15, and when I've had this kind of problem it's been due to windows settings, not musicbee.  I can click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click on the current device to get a list of devices to choose from. Check your default output device in settings, too.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

PkmnFreak

Have you tried this with the different available 'output' settings in Preferences > Player ?
(or perhaps your laptop also has choices under 'sound device' just below that?

I just tried and changing the output setting doesn't change anything for me.

I have the XPS 15, and when I've had this kind of problem it's been due to windows settings, not musicbee.  I can click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click on the current device to get a list of devices to choose from. Check your default output device in settings, too.

I have also checked the output devices under windows. Plugging in the headphones doesn't even open a new device i could choose. My default device is only called Speaker / Headphones.

Is there maybe some headphone specific driver i am missing? When i got my XPS i intalled Windows 10 fresh from a USB drive and got all my drivers from Dells Driver page. Normally that should be fine...

Thanks for helping out btw!

hiccup

It's strange that this works with iTunes, and not with MusicBee.
So I would investigate differences between these two in relation to audio and mixer settings.
Are you using a portable or full install of MusicBee?

Doing a quick gooogle, there are many reports (and a few solutions) on this.
(for example http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19632353)

So it seems to be a known Dell XPS issue.
Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:57:31 PM by hiccup

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
I'm curious if your headphones are analog or USB. USB headphones have a built-in DAC that will only appear as an audio device when connected.

On the other hand, if your headphones are analog, the output switching happens outside of any MB setting because there truly is only one place to send the audio. That could only be an issue with the computer or driver.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

PkmnFreak

Hi,

Thanks for all the Comments. I found the solution. Itunes was the problem. I uninstalled iTunes and everything works as it should now. (nice Software Apple...) I think Itunes reserves the headphone-jack for Apple applications or something. Thats some BS. My fate in MusicBee is restored.