Author Topic: Sorting bug in auto-playlist  (Read 245 times)

psychoadept

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6139
I came across this strange sorting bug.  At least it's easily documented!



This is the standard sorting scheme I use for my library, and it works fine in my main library, but for some reason it's going haywire in this auto-playlist.  It also only acts up when I use the custom sorting set.  As you can see at the end of the clip, manual sorting by Artist Group/Year/Album works fine.  That also means there's a good workaround, so this isn't urgent.

Maybe the Artist Group virtual tag is part of the issue?

$If($Or(<Album Artist>="[compilation]",<Genre>="TV Clip"),$Split(<Sort Artist>,",",1),$If(<Album Artist>=<Sort Album Artist>,<Album Artist>,$If($Sort(<Album Artist>)=<Sort Album Artist>,$Split(<Sort Album Artist>,",",1),<Sort Album Artist>)))
Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:10:17 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

psychoadept

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6139
Do you want my library file, since the problem is not related to Jonas100's?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 24019

Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 24019
i still havent been able to reproduce this but i have made an unrelated change to sorting by virtual tags to speed up performance in the latest update made available, so its possible that change might help with this issue.

psychoadept

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6139
If the latest version is the one with the new sort tag functionality, then I've actually observed more problems in that one.  I'll get you a gif later.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

psychoadept

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6139
Here's the gif.  Date and Chart Score are both virtual tags, Peak Year and Billboard Singles are custom tags.

Date: $IsNull(<Peak Year>,$IsNull(<Year>,,<Year>),$If(<Grouping>="A Prairie Home Companion",<YYYY>,$First(<Peak Year>)))

Chart Score: $Split($Replace(<Billboard Singles>,*,),"Score: ",2)$If($Contains(<Billboard Singles>,Score)="F",$If($Contains(<Billboard Singles>,+)="T",[current],),)

As you can see in the clip, Date by itself sorts fine but as soon as I add Chart Score (holding Ctrl), date gets scrambled.  Same thing happens if I use a custom sorting set.

Edit: I double checked that all the fields are correctly configured as date, number, etc.  It looks like when I first add Chart Score it just sorts by Chart Score, ignoring date.  If I click Chart Score again, though, it doesn't completely reverse it.  It reverses all the 2 and 3 digit numbers, but the four digit numbers stay in the original order at the bottom of the list (with null values in between).

Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:39:04 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 24019
It looks like when I first add Chart Score it just sorts by Chart Score, ignoring date.
i didnt understand this comment.
If you only sort by Chart Score (which i assume you have set the data type to Number), does it sort correctly (clicking on column header and also with a custom defined sort) ?
same with Date - if its the only sorting field does that always work when clicking on the column header or custom defined sort?

lastly could you also confirm the issue is still only with auto-playlists and not the music library.
Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:55:38 AM by Steven

Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 24019
i think i know why the original reported bug occurs - it would have existed at least since v3.0 so i am surprised it suddenly started happening. It relates to when the auto-playlist itself configred to be shuffled. In that case sorting using a custom defined sort would have not included the album disc and track number in the sort. It would have worked if you sort using the column headers.
Thats fixed for the next v3.1 update.
The issues after that i am still not sure, but let me know if this version makes any difference:

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip
Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:50:26 PM by Steven

psychoadept

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6139
Woot!  Yes, that appears to have fixed the first problem.

For the second one, yes Chart Score is configured as a number field.  It is not working in the main library, either.  I can't make any sense of what's happening when I try to sort by it directly.  In the library, it seems to keep sorting by artist or something related to artist.

Never mind, this appears to be fixed, too.  Nice!
Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 11:46:29 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!