Author Topic: linking multi part songs  (Read 6380 times)

bbutlerau

A cool feature would be the linking of multi part songs such as tools parabol/parabola and queens we will rock you/we are the champions.
this would ensure they would play together in shuffle mode.

mwalimu

I second the request.  I have The Beatles "Golden Slumbers"/"Carry That Weight"/"The End" as three separate tracks in my music library and would like to be able to mark the three to be played together in order as a unit, gaplessly, when generating random playlists or using shuffle mode.  The same goes for the seven-part "Ballet For a Girl From Buchanon" by Chicago.  There's a 19-part suite on one of the prog-rock albums in my library, but I forget what artist and album it's from.

ma_t14

Antonski

Is there any other player that is capable of this?
This concept would be opposed to the virtual tracks concept, where parts of one big file are displayed and treated as independent tracks (for instance FLAC with embedded cuesheets, Musepack with chapters etc.).
I wonder how (if) both concepts would co-exist?

mwalimu

Is there any other player that is capable of this?
This concept would be opposed to the virtual tracks concept, where parts of one big file are displayed and treated as independent tracks (for instance FLAC with embedded cuesheets, Musepack with chapters etc.).
I wonder how (if) both concepts would co-exist?
I can't think of any reason why the two would be mutually exclusive.  In one case you're joining consecutive tracks to be treated as one; in the other you're treating parts of a file as individual tracks.  Both are useful features.

In fact, I can think of a situation where both could be used. I have live albums in my library where the performer gives spoken intros to some of the songs, but the idiots who remastered it for CD, in their infinite wisdom, put the track marks at the beginning of the songs, leaving the intros dangling off the end of the previous tracks.  What I'd do here is join the tracks, then split them at the point where the previous song ends, so that now the spoken intro is part of the song that follows.

Antonski

I don't disagree with you. I was just wondering how easy for implementation and straightforward for use would be.

bbutlerau

Any update on this? It would really set musicbee apart form other players

phred

• Global Moderator
+1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Maleko12

+1

Some "psuedo-code" to implement it is to add something in the tags and allow which tracks should always be played/linked together in any situation (Auto DJ, shuffle, etc.). The big problem would be the fact that it would have to be available to any album there (some multi-part songs span multiple albums)...

Antonski

Probably two internal MB tags have to be implemented indicating that a track is a continuation of another one and will be continued by third one. That's easy, I believe.
However, what will happen if one interim track is filtered out or even deleted? Maybe every track in the sequence should contain information for all other tracks? Something like chapters for internal use of MB? But, in that case, if a track is renamed, the respective "chapters" changes in all related tracks have to be managed automatically by MB?
Later, let's assume that choosing one track from the sequence put all other related tracks in the playlist. Should it be possible to skip between the tracks in the sequence (treated like separate chapters)? I believe so, otherwise we could have really loooong playing songs?