Author Topic: android or iOS remote app  (Read 13067 times)

gloveofpower

I did a search, and I see other people have asked for it, but not as loudly as I suspected the calls would be...

One thing musicbee really has to have before I can throw iTunes in the trash (and believe me I WANT TO!) is gotta be a remote app that works over WiFi.  Make it android or make it iOS, I've got both phones in the house.  But being able to control your whole library from the couch or from the bed, or from the kitchen table is just way too awesome of a feature to go without.  You start playing your music like that and it's impossible to go back.  I'll be waiting for that feature....

retrofan01

Good shout - I'd love to see an Android remote app too!

Steven

• Administrator
there are a number of ways this could be tackled
- are there any apps that can accept commands and send key-strokes to MB?
- are there any apps that work with winamp? Its possible to make MB advertise itself as winamp and accept winamp commands (the only way at the moment is to set the Instant Messenger type to 'Fake Winamp' but i can make a better preference setting if this is a viable approach)
- musicbee now has an API, so someone could develop a MB plugin

peterpa

Hello all,

i know this topic is old but there doesnt seem to be much movement on this front, and id like to renew the push

- are there any apps that can accept commands and send key-strokes to MB?
YES! For Android and Windows Phones there is a paid app ($4.95) called GRemote (http://gbmsoftware.com), ive used this extensively with Winamp and VLC and it is very, very good.  The instal does come prepacked with configurations (keymaps) for many of the main players out in the wild including WMP and XBMC and all of that, sadly MusicBee is absent but it is very easy to (like suggested) change the config to use Global Hotkey keypresses which MusicBee is farmiular with.

- are there any apps that work with winamp? Its possible to make MB advertise itself as winamp and accept winamp commands (the only way at the moment is to set the Instant Messenger type to 'Fake Winamp' but i can make a better preference setting if this is a viable approach)
No need, with the above software you can start off with the template for Winamp or Foobar, re-jig the congif and rename it as MusicBee

- musicbee now has an API, so someone could develop a MB plugin
for basic functions like play/pause, stop, next, previous are just monkey banana kind of stuff, very easy.. Something which i would like to see implemented is GRemote has the ability to view and use the active playlist, out of the box this works with Winamp and Aimp2, it may be something you need to talk to the developers of GRemote, this link to their page can explain it better then i can:
http://gbmsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80&Itemid=26

ferongr

GRemote looks very basic, essentially a remote HID that sends keystrokes to the computer. My 2004 Nokia dumbphone can work the same way with a freeware Java-MIDP program.

A mobile MB server/mobile client combo of programs could go as far as querying the database from the mobile phone, editing the Now Playing List on the fly or managing AutoDJ and even displaying album art on the remote device over a simlified remote UI, both parts communicating over any kind of network supporting TCP/IP. Once the remote command infrastracture is in place, it would be trivial to hoop up into the device's streaming APIs and even stream supported formats (bandwisth of both connections allowing) over the Internet.

Now, you need someone who knows how to use Java [or whatever gutted specification Google standardized for Android (inb4 people claiming it's a cleanroom implementation)] and .net to program that.

peterchen

oh my god. Just downloaded Musicbee and this thing is truly a BEAST of a Player! Thanks sooo much for that!
But there's only one thing missing... DACP support for (in my case) iOS and Android, too.

Steve. do you think you are able to implement that feature in one of the next releases? If that works,.. all the other player go straight to the trashbin! :D