Author Topic: Star Ratings - how to customize (or rather unify) the value range for MP3/FLAC ?  (Read 3288 times)

alec.tron

Heya,
is it somehow possible to adjust the 'values' that get written into a files POPM / Rating metadata field when 'setting' a star rating in MusicBee (3.0.6079) ?

As is, stars in Musibee co-relate as such (1,2,3,4,5 stars, respectively...):
in MP3s / POPM field:
1, 64, 128, 196, 255

Flac on the other hand gets the following values:
0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100

Whereas, I would like both to use the same, ideally a 
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
or even (alas, not sure how that would 'tie' in with the star display...):
-5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
scale for MP3 as well as Flac.

Does anyone know a way how this would be possible in MB-3s current incarnation ?

Churs.
c.

vincent kars

An obvious first is that this has nothing to do with MusicBee.
The POPM field is populated according to the ID3.2 standard
Likewise there is an informal standard for Ogg/Vorbis tags as used in FLAC

If you change this, the ratting become unintelligent for any media plyer including MusicBee.

What you can do is create a custom tag and populate this using your own conventions

alec.tron

Hai vincent kars,
can you point me to the "informal standard for Ogg/Vorbis tags", for when it comes to rating tag & some sort of value convention, that you mean ?

I've seen a lot of different values being pushed into flac rating fields by different programs for their own hard-coded value interpretations... i.e. Traktor for example uses mp3s ID3.2 POPM value definiton (1, 64, 128, 196, 255 ) on flac files as well for example.
So seeing the whole thing is in shambles anyway for flac files across a range of programs (from what I've seen), I would rather use rating values that make sense to me and my workflow/tools, and having value mapping for MBs internal star display available (to not be hardcoded to given values).

Cheers.
c.

vincent kars

I don’t have any pointer.
In the Ogg/Vorbis standard,the rating is missing.
In practice progrmans like MusicBee, Foobar probably can exchange the rating tag in FLAC because they use 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100
As you already pointed out, other programs will use a different convention.