Author Topic: ipod Nano won't sync  (Read 9738 times)

udubber83

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I synced a playlist from musicbee to my ipod nano and while the nano and the playlist shows up in the musicbee library, it doesn't show up on my Nano once I disconnect. 

Any idea why this might be happening?

phred

• Global Moderator
If you're not already using the iPod Driver plugin, then this is not a bug. If you are using the plugin, you should post the issue in the plugin's thread so the plugin developer can see it.

Understand that MB does not directly support syncing to iPods or any iDevice.

Here are a few things to read/try:
1 - the iPod Driver plugin: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=10634.0
2 - how to sync using iTunes: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=13748.0
3 - how to sync without using iTunes: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=18506.0

Good luck.
Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 02:32:37 AM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

udubber83

When I sync my MB playlists to itunes, BUT my MB playlist is all FLAC files, and itunes doesn't support FLAC, what should I do?

Do I have to convert all my FLAC files in MB to MP3 first?  If so, is there a way to keep the FLAC files for MB and the MP3 files for itunes?   

Seems like if I import my MB playlists, and my MB playlists are FLAC files, it won't import anything.  So basically I have to have 2 copies of an MB playlist (one FLAC and one MP3) and make sure to just import the mp3 playlists?

seems really cumbersome if this is the case...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I would suggest syncing MB to a virtual directory and converting the MP3 at that point.  Then you can point iTunes to the MP3s (and converted playlists) to sync the iPod.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
When I sync my MB playlists to itunes, BUT my MB playlist is all FLAC files, and itunes doesn't support FLAC, what should I do?

Do I have to convert all my FLAC files in MB to MP3 first?  If so, is there a way to keep the FLAC files for MB and the MP3 files for itunes?   
You can set up the virtual device as psychoadept suggests, or you can try having MB convert on the fly.
Preferences > Devices > on-the-fly conversion

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

redwing

Also you can consider converting your FLAC files to ALAC files which would work both for MB and iPod. Then you wouldn't need to worry about keeping two version of files or converting to another format when syncing to iPod. But the downside is space: ALAC files are as big as FLAC as both are lossless formats.

udubber83

So If all my MB playlists are FLAC files, can I convert them to ALAC or MP3, then import the playlists into itunes?    Basically, I'd like to keep my FLAC playlists to play in MB, but then import import all these playlists as mp3's (or ALAC) into itunes so I can play on iphone and/or ipod.

udubber83

You can set up the virtual device as psychoadept suggests, or you can try having MB convert on the fly.

I thought MB though doesn't work with Apple products, so how could it convert on the fly?

phred

• Global Moderator

I thought MB though doesn't work with Apple products, so how could it convert on the fly?
I didn't say MB doesn't work with iPods. I said they are not directly supported.  MB does the conversion as it syncs (on-the-fly.) It has nothing to do with the target device.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

udubber83

I didn't say MB doesn't work with iPods. I said they are not directly supported.  MB does the conversion as it syncs (on-the-fly.) It has nothing to do with the target device.

OK. I guess I'm a little confused here, because in MB, it shows my iphone under 'devices.' so I initially thought I could transfer MB music and playlists to my iphone, but  I then try to sync one of my MB playlists to my iphone and get the following message pop up...

"the storage folder 'Brents iPhone\internal storage\Music\' no longer exists and may need to be changed in the device sync preferences

So is this an issue with my iPhone and not MB?   

I went to 'my computer' and then to my iphone and I wasn't able to find a folder called 'Music'   Do I need to create one so I can transfer music from MB to my iphone?  I don't ever recall deleting a 'music' folder on my iphone though...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
MusicBee may recognize your device, but that doesn't mean it will sync effectively.  You need to use one of the methods suggested above.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

udubber83

MusicBee may recognize your device, but that doesn't mean it will sync effectively.  You need to use one of the methods suggested above.

I guess my confusion stems from the fact that in MB, it shows my iphone under 'devices,' then has a button to sync my library, playlists, podcasts etc.   When I click 'synchronise' though I get that error message, which makes me wonder if the issue isn't so much with not being able to sync my playlists, but rather a folder missing on my iphone that is the main issue.  Just not sure if I should be creating a new folder on my iphone...or why that error msg. pops up to begin with.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The issue is that MusicBee doesn't support directly syncing iPods.  There's probably nothing wrong your device.  Just don't try to sync it directly from MusicBee.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
The issue is that MusicBee doesn't support directly syncing iPods.  There's probably nothing wrong your device.  Just don't try to sync it directly from MusicBee.
The key point psychoadept brings up is "don't try to sync it directly from MusicBee."

And unless you're willing to try one of the methods suggested above, there's no point to any further discussion. You don't seem to understand that MB does not directly support iPod syncing. Try one of the methods above.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

udubber83

The key point psychoadept brings up is "don't try to sync it directly from MusicBee."

And unless you're willing to try one of the methods suggested above, there's no point to any further discussion. You don't seem to understand that MB does not directly support iPod syncing. Try one of the methods above.

my confusion is that you said I can try to do on the fly conversion, which I tried but I get the error message (folder not found) mentioned.  I assume that option is in MB because it works for some devices, just not iPhones?  oh well, I'll go the virtual folder route and see if I can figure it out.

thanks for help