Author Topic: mIRC Integration - Now Playing  (Read 15552 times)

Andrew

Hey guys,

LOVING musicbee, definitely my player of choice, one of the things i was missing was a "now playing" for mIRC, so i whipped up a little plugin yesterday to solve this, seems to work quite well, it looks at all the windows available and for any with the title "*- MusicBee" and then strips that out so it can get the artist and track ( by default these are in the titlebar )

I know its a bit of a silly way to do it - im sure there is a much better way, and it might not be that useful for most people, but if u'd like to use it i put it up here:
http://andrewmohawk.com/2010/09/19/musicbee-plugin-for-mirc/

Cheers
-Andrew

Steven

• Administrator
thats great thanks. I'll put this to the Customisations section

just so you know, over the next week i'll be creating an official api (along the lines of winamp as one method) so keep an eye out for that if you are interested to use it

Andrew

Hi Steven,

Sounds great, since i have moved to MusicBee there are a few other things i want that i wish to write, do u think there would be a possibility of any tutorials coming up?

One of my other ideas is a better lyrics plugin that uses the yahoo api  ( or another search engines ) and some NLP ( a webservice like alchemy/opencalais ) to pull the lyrics out of pages as i often find the default one not finding a lot of my songs lyrics.

-Andrew

Steven

• Administrator
yes i will provide a brief description of how to use the API once its done - it will be fairly limited to start with, just providing the ability to retrieve metadata for the current song being the main thing

Andrew

Sounds Fantastic, where should i look out for this API?

jackuars

how to get miRC? i still didnt understand. anyway whats this thing? i just named a folder called miRC in musicbee and copied the plugin! was that stupid?

Andrew

mIRC is an irc application -- http://www.mirc.com/

The DLL simple allows you to show in irc, either private or the channel you are in what song you are listening to.

-AM

jackuars

so this application is not free. and i need to install another application to see the now playing song box? this is crazy!

Andrew

>_<

IRC is a type of chat application, it has nothing to do with showing a now playing song box. Please read the links i pasted before making comments.

ferongr

I still think that unless Musicbee exposes all tags via some API in the future, the internal "Now Playing Clipboard" function more robust. The configuration textbox passes all kinds of ASCII control codes correctly to the clipboard, allowing styling, and it works with all IRC applications (like KVIrc that I currently am using).

Example

becomes

A handy and memorable global hotkey is CTRL+SHIFT+C for this function.

Andrew

I still think that unless Musicbee exposes all tags via some API in the future, the internal "Now Playing Clipboard" function more robust. The configuration textbox passes all kinds of ASCII control codes correctly to the clipboard, allowing styling, and it works with all IRC applications (like KVIrc that I currently am using).

Example

becomes

A handy and memorable global hotkey is CTRL+SHIFT+C for this function.

I Completely Agree with you regarding the API, i merely built this as a temporary fix as i dont like having that pushed to the clipboard and me having to paste it, when there is an API i will build a full plugin :)

-Andrew

𝑴𝑬𝑷𝑯