Author Topic: Run MusicBee 2.x under MacOSx with PlayOnMac  (Read 5867 times)

Michael305

Hi,

just want to share, that I managed to get MusicBee 2.4 running under OSX using PlayOnMac (https://www.playonmac.com/en/).
Probably 2.5 will work as well; I just did not try.

Steps:
- Install PlayOnMac
- Run PlayOnMac
- Install a program -> Install a non-listed program (bottom left) and follow the steps, keep all defaults.
- Make sure, to not tick the box to run the program after MusicBee installation is done.
- When installation is finished, select MusicBee in PlayOnMac and choose Configure -> Install components -> dotnet40
- Once that is done, you might want to create a desktop shortcut, again select MusicBee -> Create a shortcut and follow the steps.
- Now MusicBee should start when double-clicking on the new desktop shortcut.

Notes:
- MusicBee 3.x does not work with PlayOnMac. It gives error, that MB is not running under Windows XP :-(
- Some Skins will not work. If selecting such a skin, MB will not start anymore.
  PlayOnMac creates a folder in the main users directory, name PlayOnMac. . .
  In that one finds the new application (e.g. MusicBee) -> drive_c -> users -> [username] -> Application Data -> MusicBee
  I copied all data in that folder as backup. If MB does not start after any configuration changes done, I just copy the data back, and it starts again with
  last working configuration.
  I use skin Dark-MidnightMetro and that one works.

Despite some limitations (skins) and some random crashes it works very well and I am happy, that this excellent player is running under OSX.
Of course, would be even better, if 3.x versions would run as well, but 2.x is good enough for me.

Steven

• Administrator

musicguy

burns274

I just installed Musicbee 3. You have to go to 'configure Wine' and select a newer Windows Version.
I've selected Windows 10. Afterwards you can install Musicbee 3.
So far most of it seems to work.

There is a problem with embedded pictures in Mp3s. Musicbee reports them as invalid.
You can right-click and save them somewhere and Musicbee creates a normal readable jpeg.
So it actually can read them, but reports them as invalid.
I think its a problem with big images (1200x1200).

It would be useful to have some kind of list of required Windows components for Musicbee.
So far I only know that Dotnet 4 is required. 

burns274

It definitely has something to do with the picture size.
I have one album where 2 pictures are embedded per file.
The big one (1200x1200) is 'invalid' while the small one (399x400) works.

burns274

I've made some progress using native Wine instead of PlayOnMac.
Now Musicbee 3 is running on Mac OS El Capitan.

I used the installation method described here:
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33888&iTestingId=94264

It seems to work pretty good so far.
But the installation process is complicated for an inexperienced wine user like me.

Maybe I will do a step by step after some more testing