Author Topic: How tp transfer MB to new computer  (Read 7719 times)

movebetter

Hi, i have been working on transferring MB to a new computer and it has been a lot of work because i have over 100 playlists i want to transfer. and now i am getting another computer because this one is not working out. so for the next transfer i thought i would ask what the best and easiest way it. what i have been doing is copying each playlist to external overdrive then pasting to new computer hard drive. then creating Playlist in MB and dragging tracks in.  this is very time consuming and i lose the history of when tracks were  used in playlists.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This page might help: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Backup_%26_Restore

I've been through this myself recently, especially after reinstalling Windows a few times during repairs.  Just be sure to keep your directory structure the same and it should be a matter of copying & pasting all the files from your backup. If your user account is different on the new compute, you may need to use Remap Music Folders to point MB to the new directory.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

movebetter

Thanks I'm quite a novice at this but I'll read what you suggested and see if I can figure it out.

movebetter

i have over 100 playlists. do i have to enter them manually on the new MB on the new computer?

Aevaris

Your playlists live in your library directory in the music bee directory.

library-root/MusicBee/Playlists

Just copy and paste.

movebetter

wow! that would be amazing. are you saying just copy that file to the new computer and then install MB and they will all come up?

Aevaris

I don't see why not as long as you keep the same file structure. Should work.

phred

• Global Moderator
wow! that would be amazing. are you saying just copy that file to the new computer and then install MB and they will all come up?
Install MB first and -then- copy the Playlists over.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

movebetter

i am not clear. in my music library when i search for musicbee i see all the playlists. here is one sample 16-02-26.mbp. are these the ones i need to copy to my music library on the new computer? then what? install MB and they will automatically populate?

movebetter

they have populated, i dont know how. i was doing one manually and suddenly they all appeared. thanks!,

movebetter

our playlists live in your library directory in the music bee directory.

library-root/MusicBee/Playlists

Just copy and paste.

can i now move more playlists from another computer the same way?

boroda

every playlist is just independent xml file. as long as music file paths are the same on both pcs you can just copy playlists from 1 machine to another.