Author Topic: Failure to tag composers.  (Read 4034 times)

gidddygoon

I am a new user, and I have been using the tagging features to clean up my meta tags. A couple of problems have been occurring:

1) I get an error almost any time I try to tag a single track. The error message appears for less than a second and then disappears, so I've never been able to see what it says aside from "Failed". I've not been able to fix the tags on a single track, so I've done albums instead.

2) Album tagging works, but only up to a point. All of the tags will go through, except for composer. Composer tags simply don't appear on any file, ever, even though the composers are listed on MusicBrainz, Discogs, etc. It's rather annoying, to say the least. I've only seen one thread about this problem, and it was never answered.

Any suggestions? Does composer tagging simply not work, ever?

Steven

• Administrator
1) I get an error almost any time I try to tag a single track. The error message appears for less than a second and then disappears, so I've never been able to see what it says aside from "Failed". I've not been able to fix the tags on a single track, so I've done albums instead.
try checking the error log for an error at the time you save the file (help/ support/ view error log)

2) Album tagging works, but only up to a point. All of the tags will go through, except for composer. Composer tags simply don't appear on any file, ever, even though the composers are listed on MusicBrainz, Discogs, etc. It's rather annoying, to say the least. I've only seen one thread about this problem, and it was never answered.

Any suggestions? Does composer tagging simply not work, ever?
can you provide a couple of examples: Artist and Album where it appears MB is not retrieving composer from MusicBrainz

gidddygoon

Thanks for the quick reply!

1. The log error for the track tagging is "System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

There's also a bunch of errors from when I imported the library from iTunes that say "tags defined in iTunes library but missing in the music file" but I'm not sure what that's in reference to.

2. The failure to tag composers has happened with every single album I've tried (from Prince to Britney Spears), but I just now tried it David Bowie's Space Oddity and Coldplay's Parachutes, and it didn't work for for them.

Steven

• Administrator
for 1 i need the error dump which will be several lines, not just the first line
for 2, using the coldplay example i dont see any composer info on the musicbrainz website. Are you just making a statement that there should be a composer without having actually checked?

gidddygoon

1. Ah, okay:

4/21/2016 6:14:11 PM - 10.0.10586.0 - 2.5.5804.26036 - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at #=qcz9L0WMkUs6BPGa87HhhLP8mRatXcN2Dtn6Retq3P757a75B1mJYzmDcQwHuRxVH.#=qjSDWUXE7LMfVYjDg4se98Q==.#=qT1BgJzGpZ$aN1ts_6mOvQzh0AUQa$vA$Dh9_RdVIRqc=(#=qVEGuv$CiewMQy5$XJdGTJelgfw$JcNnXeHV7m8RXzT0= #=qWVc5LG8ADUgn3Zmr0uWPBA==, Boolean #=qyRRvV0lFulsHw8OS8$1YeA==, Boolean #=qvOf9_U_uUTqCM4WcWkHfGMdz5z2pBWalNmR3Z9eWi4Q=, Boolean #=q83dn0D4GJnxL1uf5w1lKLQ==)

2. There's composer info on many of the possible releases. For the US release, which I choose to tag with, the composer info is extensive:

https://musicbrainz.org/release/8e2a9a3f-1738-3829-9eac-7b490d194870

Steven

• Administrator
for the first, that relates to problems importing data from the iTunes library
for the second, the data received from musicbrainz does not include the composer information. Its possible they have made changes since the query was written so i will look into that

gidddygoon

Great! It does seem like something is wonky with the MusicBrainz data. Thanks for looking into it.

Steven

• Administrator
i've figured out what would need to be changed for the composers but its too much of a change to include it in v3. So i will revisit this in a couple of months

for the tag editor issue, i suggest you update to v3 which is available on the top forum topic
Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:50:28 AM by Steven