Author Topic: MusicBrainz server status  (Read 8777 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If the auto-tagger is having trouble finding releases from MusicBrainz, this is proabably why:

https://community.metabrainz.org/t/rate-limiter-has-changed/14253/1

March 29, 2016:

"The rate limiter has not changed, but over overall traffic has and this causes more 503 errors to be thrown. At peak times like last night we're hitting our 30mbit/s committed traffic limit. We could buy more bandwidth, but then we would likely need to buy more servers to handle the capacity.

We're currently trying to get away from operating our own servers and instead rent servers from some other provider. In order to do that we need to finish establishing our EU presence (a few weeks more, sadly) and then we need to select a new provider and negotiate a new arrangement with them.

Then we can begin the process of migrating across the pond, which is also going to be an incredible amount of work. Fortunately @zas has been making a lot of progress on this. For now, we just need to bear with the current situation. :frowning:"
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Here's a much longer explanation of what's up with musicbrainz: https://community.metabrainz.org/t/state-of-things-q2-2016/38918
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

9cupsoftea

Is it possible to make musicbee use some other service for tags in the meantime? Are any other services as good as musicbrainz?

theta_wave

Is it possible to make musicbee use some other service for tags in the meantime? Are any other services as good as musicbrainz?
Off the top of my head, discogs, rateyourmusic and allmusic.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Discogs is available as a plugin, I don't think the other two have free access.  Meanwhile, they are working on a long-term solution.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You should start to see some improvement on MusicBrainz: https://blog.musicbrainz.org/2016/05/22/server-capacity-update/
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Zawinul

Any update on when things will be fixed, or is there another way to reliably retrieve tags? For example, how do I use the Discogs plugin?

This issue is very annoying. I'm considering moving to a different music manager/player that works.
Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:59:56 PM by Zawinul

theta_wave

Any update on when things will be fixed, or is there another way to reliably retrieve tags? For example, how do I use the Discogs plugin?

This issue is very annoying. I'm considering moving to a different music manager/player that works.
I don't know about musicbrainz, but I do know that discogs mp3tag websource scripts stopped working if they didn't have [useragent]=1 in the script.

Zawinul

I don't know about musicbrainz, but I do know that discogs mp3tag websource scripts stopped working if they didn't have [useragent]=1 in the script.

So what are my options? Am I going to have to switch to another music manager/player in order to retrieve reliable tags? I don't want to do that, but I can't continue with MusicBee if it is unable to retrieve tags.
Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 11:09:59 PM by Zawinul

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Discogs is working okay for me.  I was just tagging for the wiki and had some that returned freedb, musicbrainz, and discogs results.  Regarding musicbrainz, if you retry the search a few times it will generally work.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Zawinul

Discogs is working okay for me.  I was just tagging for the wiki and had some that returned freedb, musicbrainz, and discogs results.  Regarding musicbrainz, if you retry the search a few times it will generally work.

I do open and reload the cd's multiple times, and sometimes that works, but usually not.
Please forgive my newbie ignorance (I mean that sincerely), but how do I switch to Discogs? I really need auto-tagging to work and I'm technically naive. I've no idea where to go or how to write or adjust scripts.

Zawinul

Today the auto-tagging started working again. Thank you all for all of your help.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It seems like things have been better lately in general, but musicbrainz should be moving to their new hosting service in about a month: https://blog.musicbrainz.org/2016/10/14/server-update-2016-10-10/
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
i havent had any problems with musizbrainz for ages now