Author Topic: SNESamp (Winamp Input plugin)  (Read 7555 times)

ParkerLewis

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to use the SNESamp plugin, initially a winamp input plugin to play *.spc files (snes audio files).

The plugin works great on Winamp, but for some reason I can't get it to work with MusicBee (latest version, 2.5.5804). I have copied all its files into the Plugins folders of MusicBee.

- In the Player Preferences, it appears correctly listed in the Input plugins list (as "Alpha-II SPC Player v3.3.4 (x86)"). I can configure it normally.
- In the General Preferences, file types section, a corresponding entry indeed appears : "SPC;*.SP*;*.RSN;*.Zcantreadtherest". It is clicked (selected).

So it appears the plugin is correctly detected at least. Yet if I try to open a .spc file in MusicBee, nothing happens ; it doesn't even appear in the "Now Playing" section. It's like I hadn't done anything (well, it does stop the currently playing song but that's it).

Have I missed something ?

I suspected the problem could lie in the file types entry that lists several extension all on one line, while maybe only one line per extension might be expected, or something like that. Fortunately, the plugin config panel allowed editing of the managed file types, so I edited it to "SPC".

After reopening MusicBee, some improvements :

- Indeed, in the General Preferences, file types section, the corresponding entry is now simply : "SPC". It is clicked (selected).
- *.SPC files are now correctly associated with MusicBee, and adding one actually makes it appear in the "Now Playing" section.
- Unfortunately, this also crashes MusicBee on the spot (after ~1 second, without even trying to play it).

Any idea to solve this ? At this point I'm quite pessimistic as I suspect plain incompatibility with the plugin.

New Edit :

After some more investigation, I saw a similar post from 2012 for another input plugin with the same type of issue (MusicBee crashing). Apparently the "solution" was to change the folder where the files were placed (!).

So I have tried putting some of my *.spc in another folder, and... it worked O.O

This is extremely weird, as the original folder is not "special" in any way (no special character, full path is not *that* long either...). As a reference, I'll try to post here as much info as I can on said folder to help track the bug.

- full path : "D:\Jeux\Emulateurs\Super Nes\Snes\Musiques\Donkey Kong Country 2"
- contents : ~20 *.spc files (short names, no special character in their names), couple *.ace files (old archive files), one "mp3s" folder
- folder was not one of MusicBee's Library folders

To a moderator : consequently, could this be moved to the Bug Report forum ?

Thanks.
Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:49:26 PM by ParkerLewis

Blackened

Nice thread, I tried to use this method and I seems can't find .spc files in winamp plugins, weird.

I would love to listen to chiptunes music on Musicbee, so you have my support. ^___^

hiccup

Welcome to the forum ParkerLewis.

I feel a bit reluctant to simply move this whole thread to 'Bugs', since it seems very closely related to the plugin, and it could be informative to others to find here for later reference.

It would probably be better if you could post just a brief and to-the-point description of the bug you think you discovered, in the Bug topic, and just add a link to this thread so Steven can find more details in case he needs it.