Author Topic: MusicBee now works under wine  (Read 85363 times)

Spiron

As the title says, I have managed to get it working MB working under Wine on Linux.  Having used Linux for a while I can say that there aren't any music managers around that are as good as MusicBee and with it not working previously it was one of the few things that I really came back to windows for.  I have a new ArchLinux install however so decided to try and give it a shot and it worked.  Wine 1.8rc4 is the version and it's all vanilla there, no wine-mono or wine-gecko etc.  beign a 64bit computer I did have to remember to install the lib32-mpg123 but if you aren't working with Arch or Gentoo you may already have this installed.  From there I just let the MB installer get the dotnet4 installer.

Just to list some of the oddities that are there:
     Wavebar doesn't draw but is still there so seeking still works
     You can play music from a CD but can't rip one, it comes up with the no cd loaded message
     Encoder preferences don't work and trying to access them will crash MB.  This holds true if you go through the normal options OR the cd options
     Accessing MTP devices, if you want to sync your phone you are going to have to give Wine the driectory location in your linux system where it's mounted

I would make a guess here that CD burning also won't work but I don't have any blank disks to check.  Everything else though seems to work, even the Music Bee Remote plugin.

Extra Note: The moment I installed the libcanberra-gstreamer, lib32-libcanberra and lib32-libcanberra-pulse packages the program stopped being able to run.  After I removed them it ran again so something in one of those 3 is causing issues.  If someone else tries and can't get it to work check if you have your distro's equivalents installed.
Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:12:07 AM by Spiron

pietergdp

I also got MB working through wine on Ubuntu. I followed the this post http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5344.0 loosely. I installed wine with winetricks, then dotnet40 instead of dotnet20. Make sure you change your wine to 32 bit mode for it to work properly. Then installed MB using latest setup.exe.

It works quite well, only a few minor problems with the layout. It works best when you untick 'Skin Window Borders'.

It also works with the latest MusicBee 3 version.

Spiron

The thing with most of the guides here on the forums was that they didn't work on many non-ubuntu based distro's. Particularly on Arch I could never get it to quite work despite getting all the said winetricks stuff installed.  I actually think that it might have been because one of the three packages I mentioned was installed but not having those old installations these days I can't actually say.  I'm going to have a go of installing MusicBee on few other distros over the christmas/new year period and see how many of them it'll work with with their default packages.

Mr. Trev

Tried getting this to run under Mint 17.3. No joy. Tried with/without Mono/Gecko. Manually installed .net 4. Wine v1.8rc4 and 1.9
Actually, it did run once, but never again.

pietergdp

I also have it working on Arch Linux now (even MB v3). It installed fairly easily. Just had to install a few optional dependencies such as lib32-mpg123, and a few others, but not sure if they improve anything. The MB GUI also looks a bit better than the one on Ubuntu. (I am using GNOME on Arch)

ColCh

JUST got it working in Wineskin on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2

MusicBee: 3.0.6132 Portable

Wineskin version: 2.6.2
Wine engine: 1.9.24

Winetricks. I installed all this things one by one

* dotnet20
* gdiplus
* mfc42
* msxml3
* msxml6
* vb6run
* vcrun6sp6
* dotnet40
* wmp10
* windowscodecs

After winetricks set in wine cfg windows version to «Windows 7»

sirprancelot

Wow.  This works! :)  Have it running on Yosemite 10.10.5 on my macbook pro.  Seems to be quite stable so far.  Thankyou so much!  I did have to do the following also:

Set Screen Options > Tick "Use Mac Driver instead of X11"

You do need to install each winetrick one by one (I was in a hurry and got lazy... learnt from my error!)

That stopped juddering and clicking the files while scrolling on my macbook trackpad.  The only thing I have left to figure out is why I am not getting album covers but otherwise I have created a musicbee icon and the musicbee app is sitting in my applications folder working like a mac app.  Very very cool.  This should be shared with everyone.  Is musicbee opposed to having a version freely available for download from their site (A wine version of latest)?  Or are there legal issues with this?  Seems a bit unfair that only those of us geeky enough to fiddle with this can use but if that's the case no worries.  If anyone can help with the album covers issue I would be very grateful!

Thanks!

Steven

• Administrator
I've moved this to the Tips and Tricks section.
As to hosting this, i dont plan to put it on the MusicBee website downloads page simply because I cant (and wont) provide support for when issues occur. However if someone puts together an installer, i can host the installer download from the forum

sirprancelot

Hi Steven,

Let me see if I can put together a generic version that anyone can just loadup and trial on their mac.  Or at least some noddy steps with associated files.  I am pretty sure in it's compiled state it should work standalone but I'll need to test on a macbook (my sons) which doesn't have a load of wine junk installed.  I've certainly downloaded pre-compiled apps before (i.e. mp3tag) that work just fine with nothing else installed. 

Re the album cover issue - I noticed some other people having issues with this on PC.  I think I will have to install musicbee on my windows bootcamp and see if it works out of the box that way.  Or maybe it will reinforce it's not an issue with the wineskin installation.  Further debunking to be done.  All embedded images do show just fine and it appears to be finding the correct folder (when I click save to on picture in edit tags)... just a bit of headscratching what I am doing wrong.  Music collection is on external hard-drive and is mostly using FLAC.  So a few other variables to throw into the mix!  Any pointers would be massively appreciated.  Stability wise (minus album covers) this seems rock solid and is likely to replace itunes for me!!!  Which I loathe as a user of multiple OS but mainly a mac user for daily driving.

Cheers! 

sirprancelot

Ok well bum is the operative word.  Basically I have tried a myriad of ways and I can't seem to get album covers working and this extends to the music explorer section.  Also with further testing... Artist images aren't being picked up properly (it's just grabbing album art from the first music file in an artists collection).  Also... play count doesn't appear to work nor does as of the visualisation, theatre view stuff.  These seem to be the main failings.

That said if you turn off hte thumbnails and largely forgo the music explorer section (or accept it won't have pretty album art on your own music BUT album art does show up art for exploring the store), you're still left with a pretty nice player for mac.  The "now playing" page looks great with all artwork as expected.  The compact player looks fantastic too.  It does play music fine and work otherwise as I would expect.  I even managed to install lame mp3 converter and did a test conversion and that works fine too.  Its so nearly there (not bothered by visualisation or theatre stuff) but the lack of proper artwork for artists or album covers thumbnails is such a shame... if that worked too it would be amazing.  You can see album art on tracks being played... just not thumbnails.

Anyway... time to call time on this.  Happy to share the version I have but be warned it isn't quite where I would like it to be.  And it does install by literally dropping the file into your applications folder and launching it (no wine installer required) but uncompressed it is 1gig so quite big (Compressed it's 400meg odd).  @Colch - Did you not experience the issues I reported?  Amazing find btw... you were a bit of a genius figuring this out as I have tried so many ways to get it to work yet none have worked like yours.  Will see if I can upload some images to photobucket to shwo what it looks like.  Cheers.

PS you can see some images here (ignore the genres you may see in one of the images as i am messing around with these... so there is no issue with these... if you're curious it's just the separator isn't compatible with musicbee but that is not a fault of the wine version (or any other version) and is easily fixed)
Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:35:16 AM by sirprancelot

hiccup

Hello sirprancelot,
Is it intentional that the complete text of your post is in a large font?

sirprancelot

That would be a no :).  It was late when I posted that.  I had copied and pasted a portion of that while my internet was doing weird things and pages were hanging... I'm assuming it picked up the size from whatever doc I temp pasted into and then copied back from.  Anyways.. apologies and it's fixed!

sirprancelot

Well I have gotten musicbee working with artwork using wine developer and command line but it's not a contained package.  Trying to work out if there is a way to put this into a file that can be launched by anyone but ColCh told me it is working fine for him on Sierra so.. maybe just a yosemite thing or way I installed.  Will keep posted as I am v close here.  Now I have a font issue (anti aliasing not working properly) but the app works pretty much perfectly otherwise (Except for visualisation).