Author Topic: What is loudness normalization, why would I need it, and how do I use it?  (Read 47133 times)

SpaceCoyote

Thanks for the replies, hiccup and The Incredible Boom Boom! I've tested this with MP3s ripped from CDs and it looks like the automatically analyzed/normalized volume process happens as Boom Boom describes: the new tracks are imported with replaygain values of 0dB. It looks like I will have to manually run the Analyze Volume command with my dB preference for all new tracks.

phred

• Global Moderator
Unless something has changed recently, normalizing newly imported tracks will occur at a RG value of 0dB.
Hmmm ... my understanding has always been that once you enable "analyze volume and write replaygain tags" in Preferencess > CD Ripping, once the CD has been ripped, analysis automatically takes place at the setting defined under Tools > Analyze Volume."

I haven't test this, but perhaps Steven can weigh in and confirm this is the behavior.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

SpaceCoyote

Unless something has changed recently, normalizing newly imported tracks will occur at a RG value of 0dB.
Hmmm ... my understanding has always been that once you enable "analyze volume and write replaygain tags" in Preferencess > CD Ripping, once the CD has been ripped, analysis automatically takes place at the setting defined under Tools > Analyze Volume."

I haven't test this, but perhaps Steven can weigh in and confirm this is the behavior.

I could be wrong about initial testing. I will be more thorough with keeping track of my settings next time I rip some CDs. For now, I'm avoiding the issue but not using any volume normalizing.