Author Topic: MusicBee now works under wine  (Read 2337 times)

Spiron

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
As the title says, I have managed to get it working MB working under Wine on Linux.  Having used Linux for a while I can say that there aren't any music managers around that are as good as MusicBee and with it not working previously it was one of the few things that I really came back to windows for.  I have a new ArchLinux install however so decided to try and give it a shot and it worked.  Wine 1.8rc4 is the version and it's all vanilla there, no wine-mono or wine-gecko etc.  beign a 64bit computer I did have to remember to install the lib32-mpg123 but if you aren't working with Arch or Gentoo you may already have this installed.  From there I just let the MB installer get the dotnet4 installer.

Just to list some of the oddities that are there:
     Wavebar doesn't draw but is still there so seeking still works
     You can play music from a CD but can't rip one, it comes up with the no cd loaded message
     Encoder preferences don't work and trying to access them will crash MB.  This holds true if you go through the normal options OR the cd options
     Accessing MTP devices, if you want to sync your phone you are going to have to give Wine the driectory location in your linux system where it's mounted

I would make a guess here that CD burning also won't work but I don't have any blank disks to check.  Everything else though seems to work, even the Music Bee Remote plugin.

Extra Note: The moment I installed the libcanberra-gstreamer, lib32-libcanberra and lib32-libcanberra-pulse packages the program stopped being able to run.  After I removed them it ran again so something in one of those 3 is causing issues.  If someone else tries and can't get it to work check if you have your distro's equivalents installed.
Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:12:07 AM by Spiron

pietergdp

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 62
I also got MB working through wine on Ubuntu. I followed the this post http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=5344.0 loosely. I installed wine with winetricks, then dotnet40 instead of dotnet20. Make sure you change your wine to 32 bit mode for it to work properly. Then installed MB using latest setup.exe.

It works quite well, only a few minor problems with the layout. It works best when you untick 'Skin Window Borders'.

It also works with the latest MusicBee 3 version.

Spiron

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 45
The thing with most of the guides here on the forums was that they didn't work on many non-ubuntu based distro's. Particularly on Arch I could never get it to quite work despite getting all the said winetricks stuff installed.  I actually think that it might have been because one of the three packages I mentioned was installed but not having those old installations these days I can't actually say.  I'm going to have a go of installing MusicBee on few other distros over the christmas/new year period and see how many of them it'll work with with their default packages.


Mr. Trev

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 174
Tried getting this to run under Mint 17.3. No joy. Tried with/without Mono/Gecko. Manually installed .net 4. Wine v1.8rc4 and 1.9
Actually, it did run once, but never again.

pietergdp

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 62
I also have it working on Arch Linux now (even MB v3). It installed fairly easily. Just had to install a few optional dependencies such as lib32-mpg123, and a few others, but not sure if they improve anything. The MB GUI also looks a bit better than the one on Ubuntu. (I am using GNOME on Arch)