Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551320 times)

AvikB

I prefer the other layout (or my rearrangement of it) with the coloured boxes across the top.
If clicking on those boxes does quickly scroll the page to right section of the forum, then the manual scrolling issue would be minimized.

EDIT
I have no problem with scrolling with this layout as the most used forum areas are at the top
the problem would be for people with resolution like 1366x768 or lower. Higher resolution like 2k or 4k monitor and MAYBE FullHD monitor should be able to handle most of it

I'm using only 1920 x 1080 and I use sizer so I've only got the page open to 80% of the screen, and still looks good to me.
i do prefer the boxes on the top. But they don't scroll to the specific thread. they redirect to download page, addons page and support page.

But i am confused about the layout myself.  Should i use sidebar! or put them on top or provide a option to hide them!

AvikB

ok so i decided to put those box at the top AGAIN! :S
but also removed the scrolling issue by making two board a child board.

here is how it looks in fullHD. the whole forum is visible. Now the developer board is a child of question board, since it is for developers to ask question. Also poll is a child of general discussion, since i highly doubt we need a separate board just for polling.

hiccup

I am still trying to comprehend the tighter integration between forum and website. So it could well be I am making some wrong assumptions here,

When I look at this screenshot:

Aren't the large buttons more suited for the website, and not for the forum?
If you opened the forum page, there are already boards called "latest version", "Questions" etc.
I am a bit confused what these large buttons would add to that specific forum page.

About the top-bar. Is it intended to be similar looking, whether you are on the website, or at the forum?
Not having a strong opinion on that, but if so, maybe it could be made slightly clearer where you are at that moment.
Either by having a slightly different color design, or maybe by having the tab 'FORUM' highlighted when you are on the forum.

And about the 'HOME' button at the top. When you are navigating the forum, is that supposed to take you to the main forum page, or to the main web page?

AvikB

I am still trying to comprehend the tighter integration between forum and website. So it could well be I am making some wrong assumptions here,

When I look at this screenshot:

Weird, will test it more, also i will update the demo forum so that we can get a better understanding.

Aren't the large buttons more suited for the website, and not for the forum?
If you opened the forum page, there are already boards called "latest version", "Questions" etc.
I am a bit confused what these large buttons would add to that specific forum page.
I am trying to not only integrate the function, but the look as well. Also yes, the latest version board is still there, but this should take the user directly to the download page, instead of opening the board then opening the latest topic THEN scroll to the bottom to see the latest update.

Providing the latest version info at the top means you can quickly check if your musicbee is updated or not, instead of either scroll to bottom or going to download page.

Also the second box is much more of a reminder to new user for addons, you can call it Promotion AD(:{)

the third box is something special which is COMING SOON! you guys(or maybe gals) will LOVE it :)

About the top-bar. Is it intended to be similar looking, whether you are on the website, or at the forum?
Not having a strong opinion on that, but if so, maybe it could be made slightly clearer where you are at that moment.
Either by having a slightly different color design, or maybe by having the tab 'FORUM' highlighted when you are on the forum.
I think it is pretty clear where you are, BUT menu highlighting is COMING(i have planned this already :) )

And about the 'HOME' button at the top. When you are navigating the forum, is that supposed to take you to the main forum page, or to the main web page?
YES, with smf version 2.0.11, they changed the forum navigation system! so i still haven't figure out a way to rename it to forum home, like i did with the previous one :S
i will look into it in FUTURE!

ALSO, as for the concern of that big boxes at the top, i will include a button to hide it :)
it will use cookies to store the preference and stay hidden when the next time you open the browser.

Steven

• Administrator
i like the idea of having something like the boxes that highlight content, especially the "Get Latest Version" one because of the surprising number of times people seem to have difficulty finding it in the current forum layout

AvikB

i like the idea of having something like the boxes that highlight content, especially the "Get Latest Version" one because of the surprising number of times people seem to have difficulty finding it in the current forum layout

Also it is automated, so no HTML EDITING ;) all controlled through the admin panel.
BUT for those who don't wan't those boxes or prefer only forum layout, there will be a option to hide them, or show them when needed!

hiccup

That could certainly serve a good purpose. But than that box could be very specific (and a bit smaller) saying something like: "download the latest nightly build", with some brief explanatory text as what it is, and how to install it.
For the other two boxes I personally don't see added value (at that location)

AvikB

That could certainly serve a good purpose. But than that box could be very specific (and a bit smaller) saying something like: "download the latest nightly build", with some brief explanatory text as what it is, and how to install it.
For the other two boxes I personally don't see added value (at that location)

The third one is link to faq and documentation, often new users may found that useful for finding answered question and HOW TOs and tips and tricks.

the second one is for new users that may or may not NOTICED that we have a addon section or EVEN anyone can submit them. It is mainly as a reminder and a useful notice to new user.

Also Don't worry, you will be able to hide them, if you prefer clean forum interface
it is mainly geared toward new users who PROBABLY didn't notice those things.

Also the latest box will take a user to the download page, there he can get EITHER STABLE or BETA.
i didn't put beta info there, because beta user MOST LIKELY to follow steven's discussion forum.

hiccup

The third one is link to faq and documentation, often new users may found that useful for finding answered question and HOW TOs and tips and tricks.

You are right, that is useful.

The second one is for new users that may or may not NOTICED that we have a addon section or EVEN anyone can submit them. It is mainly as a reminder and a useful notice to new user.

You are right, that can be useful.
What confused me a little bit is that it combines 'get addons' and 'submit addons', and I was not sure where that would take you.
But I am confident you are a man with a plan on that.

Also Don't worry, you will be able to hide them, if you prefer clean forum interface[/size]
it is mainly geared toward new users who PROBABLY didn't notice those things.

Optionally hiding them is great. But the button to download the latest nightly version in my opinion would best be sticky and fixed, since it is probably useful for almost everybody.

AvikB

What confused me a little bit is that it combines 'get addons' and 'submit addons', and I was not sure where that would take you.
Whenever you hover over that box, you will get two button saying Browser Addons and Submit Addons

Optionally hiding them is great. But the button to download the latest nightly version in my opinion would best be sticky and fixed, since it is probably useful for almost everybody.

Well i guess i don't need the hide option then. and thanks for the suggestion, i will show the beta version there too.

hiccup

I digested all input and suggestions, reshuffled it, and present what I think is getting pretty close to a great forum structure.
Input please?  

ANNOUNCEMENT

MusicBee Release               information on the latest official release version
MusicBee Pre-Release         the latest 'nightly' and pre-release versions

GENERAL

Tips and Tricks
General Discussions            Child boards: Discussing MusicBee, Polls
MusicBee Wishlist

MUSICBEE ADDONS

Customisations                  Child boards: TheaterMode, Skins, Icons, Visualisers, Localisation, Showcase
Plugins

SUPPORT

Questions                         Child boards: Questions on MusicBee, Support in non-English languages only
Bug Reports
Developers                       Child boards: MusicBee API, Skins, TheaterMode

BEYOND MUSICBEE          Child boards:Related Interests, Rubbish Bin

Edit,
If there is not much enthusiasm about a foreign language board (it was only a suggestion from me I don't care about very strongly), support would just be be:

SUPPORT

Questions
Bug Reports
Developers                       Child boards: MusicBee API, Skins, TheaterMode
Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:23:00 PM by hiccup

AvikB

I digested all input and suggestions, reshuffled it, and present what I think is getting pretty close to a great forum structure.
Input please? 

ANNOUNCEMENT

MusicBee Release               information on the latest official release version
MusicBee Pre-Release         the latest 'nightly' and pre-release versions

GENERAL

Tips and Tricks
General Discussions            Child boards: Discussing MusicBee, Polls
MusicBee Wishlist

MUSICBEE ADDONS

Customisations                  Child boards: TheaterMode, Skins, Icons, Visualisers, Localisation, Showcase
Plugins

SUPPORT

Questions                         Child boards: Questions on MusicBee, Support in non-English languages only
Bug Reports
Developers                       Child boards: MusicBee API, Skins, TheaterMode

BEYOND MUSICBEE          Child boards:Related Interests, Rubbish Bin

is BEYOND MUSICBEE  a category? )

while i like it, REMEMBER 5 Category and 10 board will not fit into the view and you have to scroll a bit.
try to use 4 category and
board number <= 10 (less than equal)

Steven

• Administrator
@hiccup,
can you give some examples of what would go in General Discussions
and how do you see it differing from Beyond MusicBee and Support/ Questions ?

phred

• Global Moderator
Whenever you hover over that box, you will get two button saying Browser Addons and Submit Addons
By "Browser Addons" do you really mean "Browse Addons"?  As in giving the user the opportunity to look for addons?  Or are there going to be addons for a browser?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

@hiccup,
can you give some examples of what would go in General Discussions
and how do you see it differing from Beyond MusicBee and Support/ Questions ?

Currently we have 'general', which says "Got a question or comment?"

I thought to split questions and comments up, so 'Questions' under 'Support' will obviously be for questions only, and stuff such as "Official MB appreciation thread", announcements from members such as psychoadept introducing the wikia, and the topic we are actually in right now would go to 'General discussions'.
Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:42:50 PM by hiccup