Author Topic: [WEBSITE v2] MusicBee website and forum redesign  (Read 551791 times)

AvikB

Ok i thought i should share this with you guys.
I am delaying the V2.0 update,...... for good reasons ofc.

I am planning on doing some major changes for modernization the development process.
There is nothing wrong with how the site is being developed right now, the code written for the site is simple, but it was never meant for huge projects.

At first MusicBee website project was started as simple makeover of the old site(i mentioned this quite a long time ago), but then it started to grow rapidly.
There are two custom built CMS(admin panel, dashboard panel) and a lots of other things that made it possible. I was already making changes in preparation for this huge change.
Current code base is now big and adding features sometime breaks other features(ofc you guys hardly see that since i always test the whole site after any changes), this is getting tedious.

What i am trying to do with this modernization is to introduce much more better and modern workflow/tools which will hugely benefit me(not so much for you guys though :P).
This will allow me to automate testing, introducing new features easily.

Now as i said i was preparing for this already after v1.0 release. And i was actually planning to silently make this changes under the hood for v2.5 or so.
But since v2.0 is nearly complete and instead of releasing it now and do another huge change after few months i am going to make ONE SINGLE huge update.
The decision was made to reduce any bugs and also fixing them while preparing for the next release.

sorry for this delay. It should take approximately a month or two before it is final.

This update will have a revamped home page layout(current one is ok, but it needs some improvement),
and other features or bug fixes that is already done.

This update is only for the main site not the forum. Forum update should be in 1 week after i implement some features hiccup asked for and tested them.

hiccup

Just an idea,

It might be handy to have the feature for the forum to select 'display unanswered questions for the last month'.
You can accomplish something like that by going to 'Questions', and then sorting on 'replies'.

But it could be helpful to be able to have only these specific filtered posts showing at one click of a button accessed from the main board, since such feature might promote, and make it easier for more members to help in answering open, unanswered questions.

AvikB

Just an idea, It might be handy to have the feature for the forum to select 'display unanswered questions for the last month'. You can accomplish something like that by going to 'Questions', and then sorting on 'replies'. But it could be helpful to be able to have only these specific filtered posts showing at one click of a button accessed from the main board, since such feature might promote, and make it easier for more members to help in answering open, unanswered questions.
I don't think that is possible.

SMF's sorting does not support multiple criteria which is needed for this kind of sort.
You will need to sort by replies and also dates. otherwise older forum posts will show at the top. also i don't think SMF has any ranged sorting. You can't just filter only the last month. :S

hiccup

I don't think that is possible.
SMF's sorting does not support multiple criteria which is needed for this kind of sort.
You will need to sort by replies and also dates. otherwise older forum posts will show at the top. also i don't think SMF has any ranged sorting. You can't just filter only the last month. :S

Ok, that's a pity.

I just found this, but it might well be covering something completely different:
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3818

AvikB

I don't think that is possible. SMF's sorting does not support multiple criteria which is needed for this kind of sort. You will need to sort by replies and also dates. otherwise older forum posts will show at the top. also i don't think SMF has any ranged sorting. You can't just filter only the last month. :S
Ok, that's a pity. I just found this, but it might well be covering something completely different: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3818
That seem to have that functionality and A BUNCH MORE! it seems like a overkill to me. Implementing this would make the search more complex than it already is.
I am not planning on integrating that mod. :(

hiccup

Fair enough.

I'm just a dumb end-user thinking like:

Hey Cortana, create a small button on the main page displaying all posts from the 'Questions' board from last month that have no replies.

I'm probably just ahead of my times. Haha

AvikB

Hey Cortana, create a small button on the main page displaying all posts from the 'Questions' board from last month that have no replies. 
Cortana: Sorry, useful tasks like that is not possible for me. I can tell you jokes though!

I'm probably just ahead of my times. Haha
well in future AI will do most of the tasks including this too. ;)

hiccup

Cortana: Sorry, useful tasks like that is not possible for me. I can tell you jokes though!

Haha, yes, and she can sing too!
(Hey Cortana, sing me a song)
Soon she will be an artist with her own playlist in MusicBee!

AvikB

Haha, yes, and she can sing too! (Hey Cortana, sing me a song) Soon she will be an artist with her own playlist in MusicBee!
lol! google AI can already make songs. so it is only a matter of time.

AvikB

A little bit of structural change that has been asked before. The new url format:
Code
http://www.getmusicbee.com/en_us/
http://www.getmusicbee.com/ru_ru/

This will provide better localized search. This will not break any current url. It will redirect those old url to the new one.
The new site will use better localization, this will help any future translation.

let me know if any feature request or any concerns.

hiccup

AvikB

@AvikB, You missed a spot for dark theme here:
it is already fixed. you can check it on the test forum.

hiccup

Iasc

In the dashboard section could you change it so Your most downloaded add ons section shows all add ons instead of just the top 10?

Thanks