Author Topic: Question about properties  (Read 2510 times)

Origine

Hello, so today I've decided to finally switch from iTunes to MB, I've imported my library and done my skin, my tags and properties were perfectly carried over ( things like play count... ), in short everything is fine.

So fine that I felt like renaming some album/songs and move them elsewhere to make it more clean.

But then the properties changed: http://i.imgur.com/TDfEjJA.png
So it's either by changing the location or renaming the file.

My question is: Are the properties not saved in the files ? If no then where is it saved and can it be backed up ?
Or perhaps a mean to keep them unchanged even when doing the mentioned things earlier ?

Thanks anyway :)

Pingaware

How did you rename the files? If you do it from outside MB, it can't maintain playcount.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Origine

I'm renaming the file itself in windows explorer, after that the file in MB isn't recognized so I "link" them and that's when it happen.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm renaming the file itself in windows explorer, after that the file in MB isn't recognized so I "link" them and that's when it happen.
It's always best practice to rename files from within MB.  That way MB can keep track of them.  You can do it directly from the computer node on the left panel. 
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Origine

Okay, I didn't know that, and yep it works better that way anyway, thanks =)

Zak

• Global Moderator
My question is: Are the properties not saved in the files ? If no then where is it saved and can it be backed up ?
Or perhaps a mean to keep them unchanged even when doing the mentioned things earlier ?
By the way, properties like play count, date added etc. are only saved in the MusicBee database, not the files themselves.
There's a Backup Library command in the File menu, otherwise just keeping a copy of the MusicBee.mbl file in the folder where you created your library would suffice, as well as MusicBeeLibrarySettings.ini for customised library settings.
Bee excellent to each other...