Author Topic: Edit multiple tags inline  (Read 6712 times)

iahaleem

Pressing F2 in the library allows you to change a tag inline.  If more than one file is highlighted, this function no longer works.  If I were editing, say 20 files at once, it would be great if I could quickly edit the tags with a single click of F2, instead of having to Shift+Enter and then choose the specific tag I want to change.

If this feature could be added, I would love you forever!

phred

• Global Moderator
You can highlight the 20 files and right-click > Edit.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

iahaleem

You can highlight the 20 files and right-click > Edit.

I guess I didn't explain myself very clearly.
I'm aware that multiple files can be edited with the tag editor.  What I'm requesting is the ability to tag inline for multiple files the same way as you can for single files.

For example, 20 files have all different variants for Album (slumdog millionaire, slUmdogMillionaire, SLUMDOG MILIONARE, etc), and I want to quickly change all of them to "Slumdog Millionaire".  If I could edit them inline, I just highlight all the files, press F2 on album, and enter it right there.  BAM. done.
Instead, right now I have to right-click, go to edit, check the album tag, enter it in, click save.  It's tedious.  I'm asking if this process could be streamlined.

Thanks for your consideration!
Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:55:48 PM by iahaleem

phred

• Global Moderator
Instead, right now I have to right-click, go to edit, check the album tag, enter it in, click save.  It's tedious.  I'm asking if this process could be streamlined.
I'm not saying this to be sarcastic, but you can eliminate one step in your process.  You do not have to check the album tag box in order to edit it.  Just making any changes in any field(s) in the tag editor will suffice.  No check mark needed.

Personally, I don't find that work-flow all that tedious.  Perhaps I'm just used to doing it that way after using MB for quite a few years. 

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

iahaleem

Yes, you caught me.  I was trying to make a point by showing how long the process felt, even if one step could be eliminated.
Of course, this workflow isn't the end of the world, it's just tedious and feels like a step backwards from the previous music app I've been using (J River Media Center). 

I'm not going to gripe about it if this isn't something that will be implemented, I am aware that every player has its own strengths and weaknesses.  I am just hopeful that a change like this is deemed easy and small enough to code with little effort.

Thank you for your input thus far Phred.  Even if it isn't what I want to hear, it is very much appreciated.

phred

• Global Moderator
It's quite possible that down the road Steven may indeed add this functionality.  But most Wishlist items are on hold right now as he works towards getting MB v3 ready for public beta testing.  And with the release of Win10, there may be some fixes needed to 2.5.x.  All of which would have a higher priority than adding Wishlist items. 

The workflow I mentioned is so ingrained in me at this point that even if Steven were to add what you're requesting, I'd doubt I'd use it.  That's just me. 

As you said, MB's functionality is different from what you used prior.  Changes take some time to get used to.  I would assume that overall you like MB more than J River.  Hopefully you can adapt to the point you don't feel that MB's use is too tedious and that you can live with it.  I never used J River, but I can't imagine there being anything out there that can beat MB in its current state.

The MusicBee Forum is the best forum I've ever been a part of.  There's lots of information shared, good ideas proposed, and most of all, everyone is civil.  The moderators (myself included) eliminate spam almost as fast as it shows up.  And we, along with most long-term users, try to help Steven by answering questions for him especially now while he's so wrapped up with v3.  Let us know if you have any other questions or suggestions.  Someone will more than likely be able to help.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

iahaleem

Hello again, looks like it's been about 4 years since my last reply to this thread.  I went back to J River since it managed large media libraries better for me.  But I wanted to see if Music Bee had grown in that time and adopted some of the tools I missed before.  It's really great player and has a lot of great potential.

That said, I would still like to see this inline editing of multiple files become a reality.  Any possibility of this happening in the future?
To refresh everyone's memory: highlight multiple files in the library, press F2 to edit a tag across these files.  Save a few steps from having to enter a separate tag editor window.  This is a functionality I sorely miss when I'm trying to edit a number of files quickly.

phred

• Global Moderator
To refresh everyone's memory: highlight multiple files in the library, press F2 to edit a tag across these files.  Save a few steps from having to enter a separate tag editor window.  This is a functionality I sorely miss when I'm trying to edit a number of files quickly.
Have you tried it? I've been doing this for quite some time.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

iahaleem

Yes, I tried a few times in both Music and Playing Now tabs, no luck.  Am I missing something?  Using version 3.3.7115.

phred

• Global Moderator
Yes, I tried a few times in both Music and Playing Now tabs, no luck.  Am I missing something?  Using version 3.3.7115.
You might have to map the F2 hotkey to Edit: Edit Tags. I don't recall if I mapped it or if that was the default.

I just selected two albums and hit F2 and the Tag Editor opened up. I then selected ten tracks and did the same thing.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

iahaleem

Okay.  But this still opens up a tag editor.  My wishlist is bypass this.  The same way you would edit a single file with F2 (inline edit without opening any new windows); only do this multiple files at a time.

phred

• Global Moderator
But this still opens up a tag editor.  My wishlist is bypass this.
Ahhh ... now I understand. Try this: Preferences > Tags (2) > tag handling > enable direct editing of tags in the main panel.
This will work, but only one track at a time.

So I guess the short answer to your question if that no, there's been no change on this. Steven is now working on v3.4 so it might be a good time for him to add it. -If- he feels it's easy and a worthwhile enhancement.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

iahaleem

Thank you.  Yes I am aware this is possible for single files.  I'm hoping for the ability to do this for multiple files at a time.

Thank you and here's hoping it's possible with a new release.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Have you tried docking the tag editor in the main panel? That will allow you to select and edit multiple tracks without the pop-up window.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

iahaleem

Just checked.  I don't see Tag Editor as an available element to incorporate in.  Regardless, this is still a workaround isn't it?  I'm not looking for additional windows or elements to deal with.  I am requesting an inline edit the same way as working with a single file works.  I appreciate the alternative suggestions, but that's not what I'm looking for.

If I'm asking too much, please forgive me.