Author Topic: Use External Tagger on my library without losing ratings and play count  (Read 3689 times)

Cocas

I have a pretty big music library that I've collected over several years, using different methods of organization and library managers. Overtime, my library grew a bit inconsistent. Not terribly so, but mostly I've changed my mind on how I would like certain fields to be tagged, and some genres, artists, etc. have inconsistent spelling.

The worst part, however, is that I have an even bigger collection of songs waiting to be organized and put into my Library, since I neglected them for the past few years. A lot of them are from albums that already have some tracks in my library (I usually don't have complete albums, save for a few of my favorite artists, since I prefer to have only the tracks I actually like and listen to).

This poses a problem for me. I've been trying to add them to MB Inbox and auto-tag them in conjunction with the tracks already in my library, but this as been quite a chore, since there are so many files. I also would like to make sure that all the tracks from the same album have consistent spelling in its tags, as well as having the same release ID from MusicBrainz.

I would want to use a more 'automatic' tagger to make it easier for me (something like Picard, Beets, Bliss, Jaikoz, not yet decided), and tag both the 'unorganized' tracks as well as the tracks already in my MusicBee library. However, I don't want to lose my ratings and playcount if any files change location (if the spelling changes in any of the relevant fields, for example), and I also don't want to remap or replace files by hand in MB.

What's the best way to go about this?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Picard had a feature that allows you to "preserve" specific tags, which I've been able to use very effectively.  I'd be happy to advise you on it, because the learning curve can.be pretty significant.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Cocas

Yes, I would like that, if it's not too much trouble.  :) However, I thought playcount and ratings were not written into tags, but exist only in the MusicBee database... That's why I'm afraid I'll lose them if the files change name or location and MB thinks it's a new file...

Moshi_

• http://www.last.fm/user/Moshi_
I tag with MP3Tag, http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ , and it work beautifully. My ratings are preserved without me telling the program to do it.

Cocas

But MP3Tag is not automated, is it? I mean, can I just point it to a folder, let it do all the work, and then just comeback to make sure nothing was incorrectly tagged?

Zak

• Global Moderator
However, I thought playcount and ratings were not written into tags, but exist only in the MusicBee database...
Playcount, yes. Rating depends on the option under Edit > Preferences > Tags (1) > Store ratings in the music file.
Bee excellent to each other...

Cocas

Ok, great! I actually have that option enabled!

And regarding playcounts, is there any way to store them in the tags and have MusicBee then restore them from there if they are lost from the database?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Whichever program you work with, my biggest suggestion is to TEST ON COPIES before you try anything on your actual files.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)