Author Topic: WASAPI Device Buffering Options  (Read 4227 times)

superstar19

Not sure how much of a demand there is for this but I thought I would throw it out there.  From another thread:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=15098.0

My USB DAC (Audioengine D1) does not seem to want to play nice with Musicbee, and introduces periodic pops during playback.  I tried to determine if the issues was the DAC so I tried JRiver and Mediamonkey software.  I encountered similar pops, but was able to eliminate the pops by decreasing the buffer size.  Would it be possible to add a similar feature to the WASAPI device options in Musicbee?  Currently, the MB WASAPI device options allow an increase of the buffer size, but not a decrease nor allow a specific buffer millisecond value.  JRiver, for example, offers various buffer size options ranging from 5ms to 500ms.  I had to set it down to 25ms to get pop free playback (100ms is Jriver's recommended setting).

Until now everything I read indicated that _increasing_ buffer size helps with skips, but the Audioengine literature for the D1 does in fact specify _decreasing_ the buffer size if problems are encountered.

Thanks!

Lunatic

Hi there,

i'd suggest you get ASIO instead of WASAPI. For me and my external DAC it worked just perfect. I never had a sound this stable before.
"ASIO4ALL V2" - Universal ASIO Driver For WDM Audio.
After installing, there's a manual on your desktop which describes every function in detail and how to set it up. Normally, a smaller buffer size stands for low latency and an increase in jitters, clicks, ...
With Asio4All you can decrease the buffer size to a minimum of 64 samples or up it to 2048! Maybe this will do the trick.

Hope it helps!  ;)

superstar19