Author Topic: Releasetime tag not working?  (Read 6581 times)

a2a

Is there a wiki page showing all tags that can be used for virtual tagging?

I want to see if I can tag some files using "track title" as illustrated here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=14881.msg89081#msg89081

Also, "releasetime" to show the exact date of release?
Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:02:43 PM by a2a

Pingaware

Any field which is correctly configured for MB to use should be able to be used in a virtual tag, even if it's not on the list.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

a2a

How do I get e.g. release date to show?

In MP3TAG it's "RELEASETIME"?

Pingaware

Set it as a custom tag. To make sure it works, I'd define it as you want in the Define New Tags dialogue.

a2a

Apologies the wiki (http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Virtual_Tags) doesn't quite help easily illustrate for me and I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that specifically for this tag, would you be able to kindly advise?
Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:16:16 PM by a2a

Pingaware

You wanted the page on Custom Tags here, but given that you've tried to solve it yourself, I'm very happy to help!

In the "Define New Tags" dialogue, you want the top section. Under Identifier, put Release Date. The other fields will now populate, but you want to replace the id3 field with RELEASETIME.

Now exit that dialogue and in the Custom Tags part of Preferences>Tags (1), fill in a custom tag of your choosing with Release Date in the Display Name and the Save To box.

EDIT: That's the process you have to do for your custom tags normally. However, I've just flicked through the MB default options, and Release Time is in the drop down normally. Try setting a custom tag to that first.

a2a

Thank you for kindly helping me out, I do appreciate your time and input :)

I've tried both of those things (creating custom tag and using MB's in built custom) but unfortunately it doesn't out the correct result: the library view shows "Unknown ReleaseTime".

Now I know that the tag is populated with this info, but MB doesn't seem to correctly read it? Maybe Steven could offer insight here?

So I've clicked on the file properties and used the 'TagInspector' and can see that MB see's my intended "RELEASETIME" field (which is derived from MP3TAG / Discogs / Traktor) as "Episode Date":

This would actually give me - in this particular case - exactly what I'm looking for, however when using that as a virtual tag it's adding the time? Is there a reason for this - and is it possible to get rid of?

The tag <episode date> does share the same ID3v2.3/4 name i.e. TDRL: http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html

Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:30:05 AM by a2a

redwing

Have a look at this thread: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=11950.0

You can use virtual tag functions to get a specific format you want to display. Probably this guide will offer you some basics of it: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=10980.0

a2a

Thanks Redwig, those are very useful links - and looks to be the same intentions I have.

Unfortunately, MB isn't seeing the RELEASETIME field correctly. All of my tagging is done via MP3TAG and RELEASETIME is esp useful for my DJ music. MB is instead seeing what's in this field as episode date (following tag inspection by MB).

I'm ok using this virtual tag, however why is MB adding the time at the end of it? The time certainly isn't specified in the field?

I've just looked at using RELEASETIME, but it's only working if I populate that field using MB and not MP3TAG so looks like the two apps don't correspond to the same standard?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks Redwig, those are very useful links - and looks to be the same intentions I have.

Unfortunately, MB isn't seeing the RELEASETIME field correctly. All of my tagging is done via MP3TAG and RELEASETIME is esp useful for my DJ music. MB is instead seeing what's in this field as episode date (following tag inspection by MB).

I'm ok using this virtual tag, however why is MB adding the time at the end of it? The time certainly isn't specified in the field?

I've just looked at using RELEASETIME, but it's only working if I populate that field using MB and not MP3TAG so looks like the two apps don't correspond to the same standard?

I think you're still talking about a Custom Tag, not a Virtual Tag.  It sounds like MB is expecting the full date/time and assuming standard values for parts that aren't filled in.  If you look in Layout (1)>Configure Fields, make sure that that Field is configured as a Date.  If that doesn't help, you can use the $Date and a Virtual Tag to format it the way you want:  http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Functions

Also, there's the TDOR (Original Release Date) tag, which you might be able to use instead?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
So I've clicked on the file properties and used the 'TagInspector' and can see that MB see's my intended "RELEASETIME" field (which is derived from MP3TAG / Discogs / Traktor) as "Episode Date":

The tag <episode date> does share the same ID3v2.3/4 name i.e. TDRL: http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html

This is an Mp3tag problem, that I have previously pointed out on their forum.
TDRL was not an ID3v2.3 tag.  It was introduced in ID3v2.4 to replace TYER and TDAT with one 'release time' frame.

As iTunes, Mp3tag et al. keep perpetuating this error and using TDRL as it wasn't intended, MB has had to compromise and show it somehow.
Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 10:16:09 PM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Forgot to say, that if you are using TDRL with ID3v2.3 tags, MB does correctly save it as a TXXX/TDRL tag.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

a2a

I think it may also be down to me not fully completing the 'releasetime' tag to include year, month, day, the letter T and then hour, minute, second?

Which may be the reason MB see this as 'episode date' and giving me the times as 00:00?

I'm basically getting the release date from the disogs page via API, What is the best practice field to save a full date to the right tag field e.g. 2014-09-10? I will change my scripts to map discogs field to what best?

Also what is the best field to use then for re-releases and remastered releases - as opposed to original release date?