Author Topic: Import of 4000 new items is blocking the MusicBee over hours  (Read 11862 times)

j

Import of 4000 new items is blocking the MusicBee over hours (I have 16000 entries and like to add 4000).

Sorry - I do not find any hint about salability/limits... possibly only my PC is too old ...

Without any progress indication my only idea was to kill the process.

Zak

• Global Moderator
MusicBee probably handles large libraries better than most programs. There are people with libraries over 100,000 tracks. 20,000 won't be a problem.

Usually the problem you have described happens when one of the tracks you're trying to import is corrupt or not 100% compliant with the specifications for that codec. Try importing your 4,000 tracks in smaller lots until you can work out which one is causing MusicBee to get stuck.
Bee excellent to each other...

j

:)Thank you ... Little by little it worked ... I did not find any blocking file... I assume a progress indication (number of files remaining... time prediction) could avoid such questions and help to have a feeling for the remaining time needed for the import.

Zak

• Global Moderator
MusicBee does show the progress of new tracks being imported in the status bar at the bottom of the main window.

Depending on the specs of your PC 4,000 tracks should take less than ten minutes. Not sure why it would work in smaller lots but not at all at once, but at least everything is okay now. :)
Bee excellent to each other...

j

You're right - after the import MusicBee shows the number of imported files and works well (better than other programs I saw, I do not see a performance difference between the little and the big library) with all this titles. The import itself is unfortunately blocking the starting window and gives no progress. These are real questions for the Wishlist.

ma_t14

You're right - after the import MusicBee shows the number of imported files and works well (better than other programs I saw, I do not see a performance difference between the little and the big library) with all this titles. The import itself is unfortunately blocking the starting window and gives no progress. These are real questions for the Wishlist.

What do you mean by "is blocking the starting window"? Maybe you mean something else. If you provide a screenshot it will probably be easier to explain.

j

Sorry - I was some days offline ...
Take e.g. a windows explorer window.
Select e.g. your directory with some thousands of mp3 files.
With the mouse put them on the (open/started) MusicBee (for import).
The explorer window stays blocked for the import time.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
and what happens if you navigate to the files from the LH panel in MB and import them from there rather than with drag'n'drop?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

j

This seems to be the adequate method ... thank you... nothing is blocked ... I see a progress.

The drop could be handled in the same way ...

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
don't know for sure - just guessing really  :) - but maybe by dragging the files from windows explorer into MB means that Windows has control over the import process rather than MusicBee

you might consider asking a moderator to move this thread to the 'Bug Reports' board if you think it needs further action
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
i have enhanced the file drag/ drop so it loads the files in the background.

unzip and replace the existing files:
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_5/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip
Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:24:05 PM by Steven

j

Hi Steve,

thank you for this surprise... I was not expecting any update and passed only for curiosity at my question - with the import via the menu I can import in a view minutes the content from a Tera disk ...

About your update - after replacing the files (overwriting all files from your patch) I do not see any difference:
a) The source window stays blocked
b) The import blocks MusicBee (only the currently played title is finished).
c) It takes a very long time.

Best regards

J.

Steven

• Administrator
it should work if you drag into the main panel but i see i forgot the handling for left panel
Same link is updated with the correction

j

Steven

• Administrator