Author Topic: ASX Files  (Read 6435 times)

Buffy

Hello other Musicbee users,

I recently attempted to clean up my library by managing duplicate files. I used the handy "Manage Duplicate Files" option provided in the Musicbee Tools. I then elected the option to replace these duplicate files with "reference to the kept file". I then executed. It is here where I have encountered a rather serious problem: some of my files have been converted into ASX files, and Musicbee has no way of playing them. I attempted to convert them to MP3 using the LAME.exe that was suggested, and that has proven ineffective. The file converter has stated that it unable to convert these ASX files.

I have since gone too various file converting applications and other online converters, each to no avail. I am deeply concerned that I have just lost a large portion of my music library. And so I turn here, in hope that somebody may have encountered the same or a similar problem and is willing to provide me with some assistance.

redwing

ASX files are just a text file like a shortcut. When you selected the option, your duplicate music files were gone, leaving their tag values only to the ASX files. There's nothing to convert within them.

To figure out why MB can't play them, you need open the files with Notepad and locate the linked original files.

Buffy

ASX files are just a text file like a shortcut. When you selected the option, your duplicate music files were gone, leaving their tag values only to the ASX files. There's nothing to convert within them.

To figure out why MB can't play them, you need open the files with Notepad and locate the linked original files.

OK. That makes sense.

Thank you very much, I will do that, Hopefully I can find them!

redwing

Maybe rescanning your music file folders could help in case your database is not correctly updated:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7974.msg78665#msg78665

Buffy

Maybe rescanning your music file folders could help in case your database is not correctly updated:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7974.msg78665#msg78665

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it appears as though the files have been deleted. I'll just have to re download them. Thank your for the response and suggestions though.

redwing

That's strange. Original files should have remained intact with only duplicates removed, leaving ASX files redirected to the original files. If you encounter such issue again, report to the Bug Reports board ASAP.

Buffy

That's strange. Original files should have remained intact with only duplicates removed, leaving ASX files redirected to the original files. If you encounter such issue again, report to the Bug Reports board ASAP.

Yeah, the originals were definitely deleted, as they do not appear in the location given when I looked at the ASX file info in notepad. I suppose they could've been moved somewhere, but either way I cannot find them. If it occurs again I will most certainly report.

Steven

• Administrator
trying this myself its working fine using v2.4. I am also aware of forum members who have used this functionality extensively so i would be surprised if there was a bug. I expect the files were deleted elsewhere.
In any case if MB does any file deletion, they are deleted to the recycle bin and can be recovered