Author Topic: Checkbox Overhaul  (Read 15117 times)

Jerm56

I really like the idea behind the checkbox column, but as far as functionality goes (at least compared to itunes), its relatively usless. These are my proposed changes to the checkbox feature to add a little more functionality and usefulness.

1. Rules & Exceptions: Checked status

For places like
Filter Editor, Library Filter Manager, Auto-Playlist Rules, Auto Organizer/ File Organizer Rules, Highlighting Criteria Editor
and anywhere else where rules/exceptions of this format are used:

This would allow for a more dynamic auto-organization and easier auto-playlist building.

2. Custom sort by Checked Status

3. Retain Checked status on startup
Somewhere in the main settings add a simple checkbox setting along the lines of

4. Sync only checkmarked items
  In device settings, allow us to only sync only checked items.
  If the retain checkmark status on startup setting isn't ticked give a warning saying checkmark status wont be retained on restart, or even make it so 'retain checkmark status on startup' has to be enabled before syncing by checkmarked only.

Overall the checkmark feature seems a little lacking so improvements like this would beef it up some. Would love to hear your guys feedback and/or more ideas for the checkbox feature.
 ;D
Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:02:56 PM by Jerm56

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+ a whole bunch!  Especially to #1 & #3.

I'm assuming you could sort by checked status simply by clicking the column, but if not then that would definitely be good.  Sync checked could be handled with an auto-playlist if 1 & 3 are implemented.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Jerm56

Unlike iTunes, with MB clicking the checkmark column doesn't sort it, instead unchecks/checks all. So maybe instead or in addition to #2:

A single click on the checkmark column should sort (ascending/descending) like every other column, and a double-click or a right-click option will "check/uncheck all". This way if we did have checkmarks that stayed after restart, all checkmarks wouldn't be lost on a simple click of the column.
+ sorting it like every other column makes the most sense if we're going this route.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
A single click on the checkmark column should sort (ascending/descending) like every other column, and a double-click or a right-click option will "check/uncheck all". This way if we did have checkmarks that stayed after restart, all checkmarks wouldn't be lost on a simple click of the column.

Agreed.  And I definitely still think that a "check/uncheck" selected command in the context menu would be a huge help.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Alumni

I think this has been suggested before, but definitely a +1 from me.
If it can be displayed in the exact same manner as iTunes, even better.

Steven

• Administrator
i want to revisit the checkbox functionality for the v2.5 release so i am bumping this topic for any further comment people may want to make before i start

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
awesome, thank you! I can't think of anything at the moment to add to my comments above.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
this is done for the next update and the tick functionality now works as follows:
- the tickbox field can be displayed as a field (as now)
- by default all files are ticked but can be toggled using mouse click (as now) or in bulk using right click/ Tick/ Untick Selection
- the tick state is persisted
- "Ticked" can be included as a criteria for auto-playlists
- the ticked column can be sorted by clicking in the column header
- any files that are unticked are:
    - skipped from playback (only when added to the now playing list after being unticked - any file unticked while already on the now playing list is not skipped
    - excluded from any auto-dj selection
    - excluded from device synching
- if you go back to using an older version of musicbee, then any unticked virtual files (files created from a cuesheet) will have a large skip count
Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:25:02 PM by Steven

HHM

But right now the functionality I used a lot - bulk deleting of ticked/unticked tracks - is gone! The was a useful function of selecting ticked tracks that let me delete all unneeded tracks at once in the next step.
However it wasnt perfect cause it required one click too much.

So, as right now the default state of the column is "ticked", would it be possible to introduce a command for deleting all unticked tracks?

I would really appreciate this!

phred

• Global Moderator
So, as right now the default state of the column is "ticked", would it be possible to introduce a command for deleting all unticked tracks?
would really appreciate this!
I think it would be a very bad mistake to implement this.  The -unticked- tracks get deleted???  Oh boy, I can see the forum posts already - "Why did MB delete the tracks I wanted saved and kept the tracks I wanted deleted?"  People are used to an action taking place for the items that are ticked.  Not unticked.

Just my two cents.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
But right now the functionality I used a lot - bulk deleting of ticked/unticked tracks - is gone! The was a useful function of selecting ticked tracks that let me delete all unneeded tracks at once in the next step.

Now you can sort or filter by ticked status to perform bulk actions.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

HHM

The -unticked- tracks get deleted???

NO!
What I mean is a command under a right mouse click: f.e. "delete unticked tracks".
It wouldn't work automaticlly, that would be crazy indeed.

HHM

Now you can sort or filter by ticked status to perform bulk actions.

So it would work like this:
1. unticking tracks 2. sorting by checkbox 3. manual selecting unticked tracks 4. deleting them

4 steps

What I suugest is:
1. unticking tracks 2. right mouse button and picking command "delete unticked tracks"

You have to admit it would be much much easier and logical,

And with the option of assigning a hotkey for that it would be just perfect :)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
how about an option to invert the selection?
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together