Author Topic: Setting to use Sort Artist/Album/etc  (Read 16155 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Many folks expect sort artist, etc to work like they do in iTunes (as I did initially).  Ignore Words helps, but it doesn't cover every scenario (non-english characters, trying to sort by last name, etc).  How about having a single setting in Preferences that would force Artist, Album Artist, Title, and Composer to sort by their respective Sort tags, when available?  This would vastly reduce the need for custom sort orders.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Bump - would still really love to see this implemented.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
+1
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

Steven

• Administrator
yes i have noticed its quite a common question/ issue raised by iTunes users. Maybe the behavior should be automatic (or at least the default behvior). Not promising - i need to look into it

Steven

• Administrator
For the next patch update i have changed the behavior so that when sorting by Artist, and a Sort Artist value is entered, then Sort Artist is used. Otherwise Artist is used as now. In all cases the Artist value is displayed. I believe thats the same behavior as iTunes. Ditto for Album Artist, Album, Composer and Title.
You can still sort using the Sort Artist field as now if you wish. The difference is MB automatically generates a sort artist value if no Sort Artist is entered, so depending on the size of your library and how strictly you want to use Sort Artist, that still might be the way to go.

Steven

• Administrator
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V3_1/MusicBee31_Patched.zip

The only thing i can see that might cause concern is if any of your files have sort artist/ sort album artist mistagged, that will cause albums to be unexpectedly broken or mis-sorted. If we get a number of people raising issues around this i might take the functionality out as i dont want to create an option for it.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Cool!

I suspect this might catch a few people off guard, but hopefully not too many.

Do Composer and Title also use Ignore Words settings?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
Do Composer and Title also use Ignore Words settings?
composer intentionally doesnt use the ignore words settings - when i did it that way it didnt make sense to me why it would needed for composer

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
Seeing it live, my opinion is that it needs a check box. Inconsistencies in some of my tags almost had me headed to the bug reports until I remembered this thread.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Seeing it live, my opinion is that it needs a check box. Inconsistencies in some of my tags almost had me headed to the bug reports until I remembered this thread.
Or another tab in the tag editor that displayed all the "Sort" value tags
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
Or another tab in the tag editor that displayed all the "Sort" value tags
i have been thinking about doing that as is the case with iTunes. This might sound a slightly strange approach but i might add the "Sorting" tab to the tag editor and in that tab have an option to "enable sorting overrides" not enabled by default so its no surprises for current MB users. But when enabled you can enter the sort override values much like the iTunes sorting tab. That does mean the sort tag values will be updateable in two tags - the custom tags tab and the new Sorting tab

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
This might sound a slightly strange approach but i might add the "Sorting" tab to the tag editor and in that tab have an option to "enable sorting overrides" not enabled by default so its no surprises for current MB users. But when enabled you can enter the sort override values much like the iTunes sorting tab. That does mean the sort tag values will be updateable in two tags - the custom tags tab and the new Sorting tab
I was thinking more along the lines off having the five '-Sort' values, currently available in the custom tags, being made permanently available tags in the "Sorting" tab.  This then frees up 5 more custom tags slots, another thing that has oft been asked for in the wishlist.
A win-win situation  8)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I was thinking more along the lines off having the five '-Sort' values, currently available in the custom tags, being made permanently available tags in the "Sorting" tab.  This then frees up 5 more custom tags slots, another thing that has oft been asked for in the wishlist.
A win-win situation  8)

+1

What's the fifth tag you're thinking of?  I can only think of album, album artist, title, and composer
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)