Author Topic: Skeletons in Your Music Closet  (Read 7472 times)

Deping

What bands in your past did you listen to, or bands you currently listen to that you sort of keep 'secret'?

1) I once was a big KISS fan in my early teens. Destroyer through Double Platinum. That album killed it for me. I was mowing lawns to buy albums and KISS releases Live II, 4 solo albums, and a double greatest hits one after the other. It made me realize it was more marketing than music--and Talking Heads and Elvis Costello came along and that's when everything started to get really really good for my collection.

2) Duran Duran. I was someone who loved music from the edges and these guys were firmly mainstream. But it felt so great! I still pop on New Religion or Save a Prayer from time to time.

3) Molly Hatchet. Hey, it was the 80's and Flirtin' with Disaster seemed so awesome.

(tangent: Years later I was in Parc Studios where Molly Hatchet and Lynyrd Skynyrd had recorded. I was in the tape vault with a friend and there were the masters for some of MH's first two albums and...wow...a box labeled Freebird. I look at my friend and pick up the degausser and ask my friend if he's ready to become infamous and possibly more reviled in the history of rock than Yoko Ono. Of course I never got anywhere near it.)

No offense to anyone who loves any of these bands, of course.

Anti

Mr. Trev

David Lee Roth era Van Halen has always been a guilty pleasure.

AnonGuyy

"Sleep Party People - I'm Not Human At All" is a band I typically keep away from the people I hang out with.  Don't want to become an outcast or weirdo or anything.

But now, I don't care.  I decided to stop hiding and just play this whenever I want and not when I'm alone or using headphones.

I think the song is gorgeous....

Song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFUzvbkEvRk

Mattiefcf

I try not to be embarrassed by any of my music, but.... buying a Creed album wasn't my finest moment.  And despite the fact that I love them , especially the period from Notorious to Thank You, I tend not to flash my iPod around when Duran Duran are on.

I've owned The Zutons first album for ages, but only got around to listening to it last week.  I soon realised it a horrible mix of rubbish nostalgia (e.g. Oasis) and whimsy (e.g. Robbie Williams).  A week ago I wouldn't have been embarrassed by it.  Now I'm horrified that I was suckered into buying it by all the hype in the UK.

Some things you just have to go with.  Here At The Mayflower by Barry Manilow.  A good album, but people probably assume I'm being ironic when I say that.

Pingaware

Things I'm embarrassed to have bought? Busted - A Ticket for Everyone: Live. In my defence, it was only £1.

Things I'm embarrassed to own? Nothing. A collector collects, no matter what it is.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.