Author Topic: Device name blank  (Read 9883 times)

boxer

I had been successfully syncing my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S2 phone) with MusicBee, but since installing a custom Android ROM (CyanogenMod) I get the following error message whenever I try to sync:

-----
The storage folder 'SD Card\' no longer exists and may need to changed [sic] in the device synch preferences
-----

The phone is still detected by Windows as an MTP device when connected by a USB cable, and it shows in Windows Explorer with its device name (GT-I9100). It appears in MusicBee too, but only the device icon shows - no name. When I go to Device Settings the Storage Path is just "SD Card\", whereas it was previously "GT-I9100\SD Card".

I'm assuming that the storage path needs to start with the device name and that as MusicBee seems to be unable to determine it, the path is mal-formed and so syncing is failing.

MediaMonkey and Windows Media Player still identify the device name properly.

Any thoughts?

Steven

• Administrator
did you tick "detect MTP devices" in the device preferences tab?
otherwise i cant help any further

boxer

Yes, "Detect MTP devices" is ticked.

Could you let me know what piece of information MusicBee picks up when determining a device name? It might give me something to search on or ask about from the Android end.

Thanks.

Steven

• Administrator
MB uses the standard windows portable library API call:
GetDeviceFriendlyName()
I think winamp/ mediamonkey etc are probably using an older API interface library

boxer

Although the device name Rename is grayed out in MusicBee, another CyanogenMod user pointed out that it can be changed in Windows Explorer. After changing it there and then changing back again, MusicBee is now seeing it. This has fixed the syncing problem.

MusikHornet

• Music is my life
The topic is old, but not the issue.
Just my hint after solution on my device "LG Nexus 4":

The device was named "Nexus 4" in windows file manger, but detected as "Portable Device" in MusicBee.
The sync path in MusicBee is "Portable Device\Internal storage\" and it seems that the device name and the path cannot be changed.
So I had to rename the device in windows file manager to "Portable Device". And I had to create in its existing subdirectory \Internal storage\ the missing folder \Music\.

Kind Regards from Rudy

bcsteeve

Thanks for the tip Rudy.  It gave me the hint I needed.

So what I did was disconnect my device and then delete the profile (Edit->Preferences->Devices->Portable Device->Delete)
Close MusicBee
Connect the device
Open Windows Explorer, find my device, right-click on it and Rename it (to whatever I want that wasn't the default)
Open MusicBee
Go back into Portable Device in preferences and it should now show up with the new name and with the correct path.

In my case, I have a Nextbit Robin phone and Windows called it "Robin" but Musicbee called it "Portable Device".  When I changed it to "Steve's Robin" Musicbee picked that up.

Alumni

Experienced the same thing myself on multiple occasions with Android devices.

@Steven if you're reading this, please consider introducing some kind of workaround or tooltip in Musicbee to help solve this issue for new users.

phred

• Global Moderator
@Steven if you're reading this, please consider introducing some kind of workaround or tooltip in Musicbee to help solve this issue for new users.
+1 Especially since my Motorolla device won't allow renaming via Windows.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

veermaharaj

So I am running into this problem where the wifi sync app is looking for a device model name ASUS_I01WD but i have it renamed through explorer as aZenFone6, so musicbee has it listed as ZenFone6.

I deleted the profile in musicbee, renamed the device in explorer and it still comes up as ZenFone6.

This would be a lot easier if there was a way to edit the device profile's name so it matched up with what the wifi sync app was looking for.

I managed to successfully sync with my samsung tablet which is great. I never messed with that device's original name.

phred

• Global Moderator
Before using the WiFi sync for the first time on any device, you must perform a wired sync. Not necessarily a full sync. Just doing a preview is good enough. Have you done this once the name was changed?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here